NBD Fender Kingman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassFaceExtremo, Oct 30, 2019.

1. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    Welp, finally getting a new bass after two years of playing the same two basses, ones a schecter stage 4 pro and the other a heavily modded squire jag, but those are other stories for other threads...

Any thoughts on the Kingman, yay or nay??

Also what about strings idk what it's coming with because I purchased used, 316$ to be exact which could be good or bad, but I got a set of SS Fender flats coming to try on it but recently seen a video of a guy using la Bella tapes and really loved the tone but they seem really....floppy. I like a tight feeling, but I guess wouldn't want to stress the body of the bass, idk enough rambling

.....oh and pictures are coming soon it's still in transit but it's crossed the Arkansas border into my great country of Texas and is showing up sometime this afternoon.

Can't freakin wait!

nixdad and mikewalker like this.
  2. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    IMG_20191030_165615739.jpg IMG_20191030_165353885.jpg Here she is, in all glory and at home in her included case, and a beauty shot up top.

I think I'm in love, it needs some work but it's not anything I can't do myself, cheers y'all!

One Way, Clark W, B-Mac and 16 others like this.
  3. Great bass man. I had one a couple years ago and loved it. Great tone. Ended up selling it because I wasn't really doing much acoustic stuff anymore. I just used a set of Fender phosphor bronze medium gauge strings on mine. Happy new bass Day!

nixdad and BassFaceExtremo like this.
  4. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Very nice! I played one in a store and it was lot's of fun and had a great voice. Enjoy!

BassFaceExtremo likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're going to want to toss the bronze-wounds and get some D'Addario black tapewounds.
    Perfect tension, perfect tone.

craig0316 likes this.
  6. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    Muchos gracias bro, already can't stop playing it, so funky and wierd it's cool.

7. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It's like a Jazz Bass and a dreadnaught acoustic guitar collided or had a baby together or something. Really cool! I've played one and they are seriously nice.

Bassdirty, nixdad and BassFaceExtremo like this.
  8. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    See I didn't know what to get tapes or regular flats....so I for some Fender 9050 SS flats coming tomorrow, I really wanna try the La Bella Tapes but I want my tention still there so I'm still kinda iffy...

On the other hand I kinda like the rounds for just the acoustic tone/volume, why can't we just live in a perfect world lmao

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    Ok after playing for a whole hour earlier and then finally plugging it i found the G string completely almost non existent volume wise, I unplug and take the strings off and pop the bridge out and low and behold the piezo looks like it got mashed in some way and the copper braid has come loose from around the magnet down on the G string end of the pickup, anything I can do to fix this or should I just get another pickup?

I've read in an acoustic guitar forum that I could use some kind of silver impregnated epoxy to fuse it back together but I looked at it on Amazon and yeah they are pretty proud of it $$$ so idk maybe a careful solder job????

For now I'm just gonna forget the G string is there when I'm playing at church or where ever....any suggestions though?

10. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    I know I've been wanting one for a while and after me and my fiance found out we are pregnant it might be the last one I get for a while seriously fun instrument though

11. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The D'Addarios are anything but floppy.
    I have them on both my Dean Exotica acoustic basses.
    I wouldn't dream of playing without an amp, of course, even camping out, playing on a street corner, or on the beach.

12. C Niz

C Niz

Sep 14, 2019
    New Orleans
    Rotosound tapes have pretty high tension compared to danelectro, haven’t tried labella’s yet

13. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Never played one myself but looks so cool! congrats, enjoy!

14. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I bought a 2019 Fender California Series Kingman V2 this year. It came with Fender's Phosphor Bronze strings, or "cheese graters" as I call them. And the strings are the only complaint I have about that bass. But easy enough fix. It is now strung with D'Addario Short Scale Chrome Flats. Plenty of tension, and smooth like butter. When gigging it's plugged in anyway, so its not like I need the extra volume of the original strings. And at home there are a lot of times that I play along to music without it being plugged in and the Chromes are loud enough to do that.

15. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    I've used roto rounds on a thunder bird I had years ago and I've also got some roto SS flats on a fretless arch top Ovation, the flats at just killer thanks for reminding me about them!

16. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    What's the difference between the V2 and V1 besides the obvious mahog neck?

17. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    Thank ya, cheers bro

18. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    Yeah I'm coming around to the idea of the "acoustic" part of an ABG is kinda a tounge in cheek figure of speech lol at first I wanted to play it both acoustic as a campfire jam thing AND amplified but I'm figuring out those two things have have alot to do with strings

19. BassFaceExtremo

BassFaceExtremo

Aug 23, 2016
    Anybody have any advice on my pickup issue stated above?

20. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I believe in the MTV Unplugged school of thought...plug in!
    Even if I have to use something like this.
    [​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022