1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender MIJ P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Williethump, Dec 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    From CL Sacramento, MIJ Precision Bass, $460 USD. Seymour Duncan pickup.
    DSC06285.JPG
    Thomastik-Infeld nickel roundwound strings-flat polished surfaces, G & G 'vintage' HS case, large open tuners.
    DSC06310.JPG DSC06311.JPG DSC06309.JPG
    In near new condition. Sounds great just the way it is. I'll have to learn to play a lot better to live up to it. Said by Ed, the seller, to be circa '99-2004. He also said the strings were worth $75 and virtually immortal. True? It's light weight despite the ash body-per seller. Is it ash? Dated correctly? Good deal? Not that I care, too stoked.
    DSC06312a.JPG DSC06301.JPG
    DSC06292.JPG
    The only gig points I'd give it are for the missing pickguard screw and slightly large neck pocket. A much better ax than I deserve, now I'll be able to hear precisely how bad I'm playing after 15 months of fun effort. I'll never join the band but my bass could, it sounds and looks that great.
    DSC06304.JPG
    DSC06306.JPG

DSC06286.JPG

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Wow! Great score!

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I believe so, awesome bass, contrats! :)

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If the bass truly works for you, then it's a great deal. Congrats.

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Great score. I sold my 70's MIJ P on Reverb earlier this year for $780. You got a great deal!

6. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    If you're a sacto Screenshot_2018-12-20-14-48-59. local, Ed is also selling a Sting sig model, with S Duncan pup: and a slab body 1951 reissue with original pup. Both sunburst, both from about the same era and about the same price. And also pristine.

7. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Great score! That looks like Ash to me!

8. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks J-Mags! Can anybody pin down the build date from the serial #, other than '99-'04?
    This thing is a tone monster, I can't put it down, even through my tiny Roland Cube. Now I'm lusting after a bigger amp.
    Stripped my student yammy for the 3.5in suede Franklin strap. Looks great on the p-bass, blonde on blonde.

9. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Awesome Bass, Nice score. Love those Japan Fenders.

10. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Gorgeous. Love that combination of materials. Fantastic deal.

It's going straight in the "Beautiful Basses" folder on my computer.

11. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Looks like it's a 2014 model, from what I can find. They went back to "Made in Japan" in 2010 and since 2011 have use JD"YY" at the beginning of serial numbers.

flatwound62p likes this.
  12. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    Doh! I think iomama is totally correct. Scratch that second link, it's for earlier years.

13. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Only found out tonight myself. Hadn't seen one of the more recent serial numbers before now, nor had I realised they'd gone back to Made in Japan.

flatwound62p likes this.
  14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    Neck looks like a PB62 because it’s rosewood but the body looks like PB70 ash

15. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks Iomamo, Flatwound62p!
    That pins it down exactly.
    These pricey roundwound but polished flat Austrian strings sound so good I can't believe it. The thump of a flat with round brightness. I can't put it down.

16. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    The seller was quite correct about the string price, yikes! But maybe worth the price of 3 sets of lesser strings judging by their sweet sound and quiet, easy playing. I hope they really are virtually immortal cause I'm more used to paying that amount of dough for entire bass guitars, not just strings.
    BTW, the seller, Ed from Sacramento, took down all his CL ads so he must have also sold his fantastic Sting sig bass and the slab 1951 reissue, both like new and MIJ. Perfect condition and nicely priced, I thought, at around $500 USD. Screenshot_2018-12-22-09-13-02.