NBD: Fender MIJ Steve Harris Signature Precision Bass Modified

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaine, Apr 20, 2020.

1. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    I was looking for a precison bass with a maple fretboard, after selling my Fender American Pro. Then i saw this bass for sale and left my home for the first time since the quarantine days to get it.

MIJ Steve Harris P bass is actually a 50s era reissue precision bass. Being aware of that, the previous owner modified the bass with Fender vintage parts such as 50s era pickguard, 70s era bridge and vintage thumbrest to make it look and feel more period correct. He also gave the stock parts as well just incase i want to use it as its originally produced.

There are 45/105 flatwound strings on it which needs to be changed with proper ones.

The bass resonates really well, no cosmetic defects, i liked the tone coming out of it. The SD SPB-1 pickups remains unchanged which is nice. I might use SD Antiquity I pickups to get warmer tones in the future.

I cant deny American Pro was more comfortable to play, lighter and crafted with better quality components. However this ones sounds more balanced than my previous American Pro, also much cheaper.

If anyone used or uses 50/110 Steve Harris Signature strings, any comments will be welcome by the way.

I put the pickup cover and bridge cover just for the photo. Not going to use them with the bass. I dont want extra screw holes if i decide to fit stock parts later on.

20200420_162751.jpg
    20200420_162805.jpg
    20200420_162824.jpg
    20200420_162939.jpg
    20200420_163208.jpg
    20200420_163229.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Ghastly, Fialka, squarewave and 8 others like this.
  2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Gorgeous!

skaine and Rabidhamster like this.
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Man oh man does that look great!!

skaine likes this.
  4. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Beautiful! Agreed, covers off.

skaine likes this.
  5. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I thought these had a brass nut and truss nut at the heel?

6. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Not on this model.

Nice bass, congrats skaine.

skaine likes this.
  7. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Thanks very much.

You are right this one has synthetic bone nut and truss rod access is at the top.

By the way i havent put the original Badass II bridge back, do you think the tonal difference is considerably different between them?

8. Matt sroka

Matt sroka

Feb 25, 2016
    Would you be interested in selling me the chrome pickguard?

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    Looks like a 'modern' anodized gold pg to me? Btw, I think the covers look great ON. I tried the SH sig. strings a couple years ago and expected to love them, but before I had the chance to really explore them, they ended up ruining the gears in 2 of my tuning keys. I still don't understand why, except maybe increased tension?

10. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Mar 14, 2011
    I love the Steve Harris finish. I'm not really convinced about the BAII but it might shave off a few ounces sticking with the bent plate. The Steve Harris basses I've tried have been on the heavy side. Where does this one fall?

StevieMac likes this.
  11. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm not the OP but I have the same version of the Harris bass. The pick guard, bridge and tuners are all heavy and although it's not very Harris like anymore I went with a traditional bent plate bridge, a plastic pg and res-o-lite tuners. The bass was 10 lbs when I got it and is now about 8 lbs 13 oz.

EHZTCX7.jpg

lowdownthump and Runnerman like this.