1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender Mod Shop Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aproud1, Jul 15, 2019.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Lacking a P bass for some time now and I've been on the lookout. I missed my 83 siennaburst but didn't want another wide necked P bass (My 83' had a wider nut than my 5 string). i did really, really want a siennaburst P. Played several P basses out and about but nothing really did it for me. I had been eyeing the modshop especially when siennaburst showed up as an option.

After a frustrating day at work and building the same bass in the mod shop over and over again I finally pulled the trigger. Received the order confirmation and the wait began.

• 9 days later I received an email stating my bass was being processed and they anticipated an on time delivery.
    • 30 days after ordering I received an email that there was a slight delay due to material availability
    • 36 days after ordering I received notification that my order was shipping that day.
    • 2 business days later my bass shows up.
    Attached is the mock up from the website I looked at from time to time. And the box that showed up 40 days after ordering.

Attached Files:

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Are you not opening the box on purpose...perhaps to allow the bass to acclimatize to air conditioning?

J0hn likes this.
  3. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    So... how is it? It's great. It's a P bass. The color while not for all makes me very happy. Weighs in just under 9 lbs and sounds and plays like a P bass should.

Specs:
    • Mod Shop Precision
    • Siennaburst over Ash
    • Rosewood fretboard
    • C to D neck shape
    • V-Mod Pickups
    Is it worth the upcharge? For me, yes. Any build I've had where you want a non standard color incurs an upcharge and Fenders was worth it to me.

Finish is georgous. 3 piece body but very well matched.
    The tuners are pretty nice. Light, smooth and seem very accurate. I am a 3 wrap around the post guy and I can only do 2 with these so that is a small adjustment
    The nut was actually cut right. I always, yes always have to touch this up. So that was a surprise
    The neck is great. One of those necks that kind of disappears. Smooth and comfortable. Neck pocket is super tight.
    V-Mod pickups just seem like great P bass pickups. Haven't heard this bass in a mix yet and that is the ultimate test.
    Intonation was spot on. Of all the basses I've owned I doubt more than 5 or 6 were spot on. So kudos to the setup peeps. I adjust the truss rod and bridge to taste
    Knobs pictured below are not stock nor are the strings

What can I say. All around good experience. I love P basses but have had my share of Fender quality issues. None here. Everything is spot on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  4. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    No. Just writing another post.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nice! Color looks great.
    40 days is pretty darn good. And two days shipping? Wow.

EagleMoon, garp and aproud1 like this.
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks for reporting on a positive Mod Shop experience. I have been contemplating a Fenderish quasi-custom build for a while. Is the Corona decal unique to Mod Shop instruments? I don't recall seeing it on other USA builds.

7. Beautiful, beautiful bass! Enjoy!

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Looks like the Mod Shop neck plate is unique to these instrumnents.

**I see 2019 Fenders also with the Corona logo

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  9. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    You're welcome. Looks like Mikeswals beat me to it. It was a good experience and got me exactly what I wanted.

Thank you! I will.

10. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Very nice!

I’ve played around with that app.

aproud1 likes this.
  11. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Looks like I'll need some frets touched up on this bass. After a little time and setup tweaking I rocked the frets and found 5 across the board that are high. Worst one is the second fret.

Bummer. Are my expectations too high?

12. Lovely burst enjoy playing it :thumbsup::cool::drool:

aproud1 likes this.
  13. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I would kind of think it would come in with the frets spot on. If they could have taken a day longer to make sure it had good fret work, I'm sure 41 days would have been fine with you.

All complaining aside, That bass is beautiful, I love Siennaburst finishes and that one is spot on! So yah, I'd be inclined to handle the fret troubles myself, but that's just me.

aproud1 likes this.
  14. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Thank you.

I’m pretty bummed. I rocked the frets when I received it and there was on e a little high up the neck. Otherwise good. I wasn’t super detailed so there may have been more. I think the neck is moving though. Hopefully not too much. My local tech (who’s awesome) is also a fender repair center. He said warranty fretwork is very rare. If it turns out to be a bigger issue it will be in the right hands.

I was going to have him round the fret ends anyway. So at least the short trip was planned regardless.

I had two other brand new MIA Fenders with major neck issues. Several other that needed fret work. So I shouldn’t be surprised.

giacomobass likes this.
  15. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I imagine it's going to take a couple days for the neck to climatize so I think it's best to wait to do much to it for a couple days. It's a bummer to deal with fret problems on a brand new bass but I think you're right, it's in the right hands.

As long as the neck settles in good I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

Again, beautiful bass!

ajkula66 and aproud1 like this.
  16. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Fender covered most of the fretwork and a new nut. Good on them. Got it back yesterday and it plays/sounds as good as it looks!

TinIndian likes this.
  17. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I've looked at the Fender Mod page as well, for the pricing honestly you'd think there would be no quality issues what so ever, your bass is absolutely beautiful, really, really nice looking P bass.
    The part about if I have to send it back for them to do it correctly just irritates the hell out of me, I wish I new if I ordered from there site that it was going to come in perfect, I'm just anal about things like that especially when your paying close to $2000.00 for a bass.

giacomobass likes this.
  18. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    '
    Pretty annoying though I didn't have to send it back. the best local tech around is also a Fender "gold repair center". He was going to see it to round over all the fret ends anyway. Since Fender covered the actual fretwork and nut there really wasn't any loss or inconvenience to me. Just annoyance that it wasn't perfect.

Plus now the fretwork is perfect. I'd say better than any factory fretwork and at a minimum on par with the Custom Shop.

EagleMoon likes this.
  19. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I feel ya there! For a while, I had an MIJ Cherryburst Jazz that I had to sell off. After a good bit of time and my finances settled a bit, a deep-seated hunger for something with that lovely finish started to take hold. Eventually, I quenched that thirst by assembling a parts-bass projekt utilizing a Cherryburst Fender Dimension body. Now, all is right with my Universe…

…that is, until I get the itch to assemble something else. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear it needed a little fixer-upper work, but at least it was minor, completely covered by the warranty and didn't have to be sent back to the factory. It's nice to hear how, in this case, FMIC was willing to make sure your money was well spent. It sounds like everyone's happy all-around. :thumbsup: :woot:

aproud1 likes this.
  20. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    All true. Unfortunately current finances don’t all ow me to keep this bass and I need to sell! :bawl: