1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fender Mustang Bass (MIJ, 2002-2004) - Tag Sale Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stringthrough, May 11, 2018.

1. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

My wife likes to go to tag sales. Today she calls me and she says to me she says.

Wife: Honey they're selling a bass
    Me: Any name on the headstock? (I've trained her on the names of bass/ guitar parts)
    Wife: Fender Mustang Bass
    Me: (Now getting interested) Look at the front and back of the head stock for the country of origin
    Wife: Nothing there
    Me: Oh (pause)... Look at the rear, bottom of the neck
    Wife: Says crafted in Japan
    Me: (Now very interested) Can you read off the serial number
    Wife:Q something, something
    Me: Hold on while I check the web for its year of manufacture (later) It's a 2002-2004 build . . . What are the asking for it?

Enough of the dialog... Anyway it's in excellent+ cosmetically (at most half a dozen tiny dings on the body finish, back of the neck is totally smooth and there is little to no fretware) and electronically (sounds great, no electronic "pops" when turning the knobs) condition. Weight, I'm guessing in the high 7's or low 8's (very comfortable).

Seems like they bought the bass new for junior, he played it for a few months then gave up the instrument. It's been in storage for over a decade!!!

Oh, and it came with a G&G/ Fender labeled hard shell case that's also in excellent condition.

Even though I'm primarily a 5 string player these days, since I got it for a "wholesale" price I will probably keep it. That said, if you've been itching for a Fiesta Red MIJ Mustang Bass in excellent condition feel free to PM me with a monetary or trade offer.

FenderMustangBass-Full-Front.

FenderMustangBass-Body-Front.

Mark76, scuzzy, Qlanq and 2 others like this.
  2. basstechie

basstechie

May 6, 2013
    Virginia
    Very nice, been keeping an eye out for one of those in white recently, great find!