1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fender Noir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmw1977, May 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jmw1977

jmw1977 Guest

Mar 27, 2013
    I wasn't really looking for one of these, but my local dealer had two; one of which was a discounted floor demo that was near mint. Since I picked up a Rickenbacker 4003 Noir almost two weeks ago, I couldn't resist Fender's similar offering. Got it home and put my last set of Fender 9050CL flats on it and gave it a set up. First impressions is that it sounds like a Fender P! Seriously, tho, it's a very nice instrument. Not flawless, but for what I paid it was definitely worth picking up.

Attached Files:

2. jmw1977

jmw1977 Guest

Mar 27, 2013
    Additional pics from the dealer.

Attached Files:

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Supah-sweet! :thumbsup: And you already know I love that red-highlighted pickguard! drool

Post-ModBlacktop01_zps44b7b13c.

Atshen likes this.
  4. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Looks pretty sweet, be even better with black hardware and painted neck.

Malak the Mad and HypersoulRocks like this.
  5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Good for you. Sounds like a P because it actually is. Noir is simply a P done in black. Now the picture of the one with two P-pups is intriguing and I have no idea how that sounds with double P's.
    But...your bass is a goodie and looks great! I like it.

6. Malak the Mad

Many basses would look better with a painted neck. :cool: :thumbsup:

JB62-All%20Black%2004_zpssr9ccj17.
    JB62-All%20Black%2009_zpsrwa7rsgf.

How's that for "Noir"?!

If you can imagine a Fender Blacktop Jazzes sound kicking you in the chest like a mule tweakin' on PCP, that's pretty damn close! :nailbiting:

Here's an audio clip of a fellow TB member's Blacktop, played with a pick and all controls at 100%. Oh, and dig that 20+ seconds of sustain!

themarshall, totallywink and Atshen like this.
  7. jmw1977

jmw1977 Guest

Mar 27, 2013
    I know. I was attempting to be funny by stating the obvious.

8. jmw1977

jmw1977 Guest

Mar 27, 2013
    Malak the Mad likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

ha! very nice! looks super! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

10. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    That's cool!

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Nice bass...and you definitely chose the right strings.

12. Malak the Mad

One of these showed up at my local Guitar Center, and although I'm a Jazz-bass-kinda-guy, I had to give it a whirl.

It felt very nice in my hands and after a cursory inspection, the fit & finish looked to be quite solid. The matte finish is pretty cool and would probably serve someone well if they really dig a black finish that isn't a fingerprint magnet.

As far as playability goes, my predilection for Jazz necks really showed through, so I'd definitely fall into the category of an "unreliable witness".

13. With the matching headstock and red pin stripe that looks absolutely f#@*&$% brilliant!

14. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    that thing looks fantastic. LOVE the red outline pickguard.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. jmw1977

jmw1977 Guest

Mar 27, 2013
    I was contemplating swapping the chrome hardware for black, but I'm not sure if it's worth it just to make it look "cooler." Although, I discovered during my string changes that the D string tuner is defective - specifically, the worm wiggles loosely and doesn't seem to be in good contact with the pinion. It's ok under string tension, but if I release the tension the knob spins without me turning it any further. My dealer is getting a replacement for me this week from Fender. Maybe I should look at the Hipshot HB7s?

16. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    too much non-noir on that specimen for me to get too excited

17. Bob T

Bob T

May 26, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Adam West would have played this... had he played.

18. BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Aug 26, 2007
    Dallas.TX
    I'm a sucker for the satin finish on this thing. Accents and everything look amazing as well.

I'd prefer a maple neck however even though it would "de-noir" it a bit.

19. Malak the Mad

Funny you should say that, I said the exact same thing when I posted the pics of my first-ever Sharpie Mod™ pickguard…

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Super hot! I love it!