1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender P-Bass Jade Pearl Metallic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TopHat, Mar 26, 2015.

1. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    I just got a new Fender P-Bass and its a great instrument. The stock guard is nice, but I was thinking about swapping it out to make a something a little more dressy.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've got the maple neck and thought something in the white/antique white pearl realm might be nice. I've seen some nice tort stuff in red or vintage orange that might be cool. I'm mainly a drummer, so I don't even know who makes nice aftermarket stuff.

IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2768.JPG

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    trothwell, Tooned, gsgbass and 16 others like this.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'd go with white or black pearloid.

shawshank72, 1960jbass and Snowglo like this.
  3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yup, a white pearl pickguard would look nice on that color/wood combo.
    Have any pics of your bass?

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I haves JPM Jazzand I think white or black pg's are best for this color.

5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
  6. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    Its a 2014 model I just got from Sweetwater today. I own quite a bit of drum equipment as you can imagine, but I only own one guitar, and one bass. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the instrument, and all the extra stuff they toss in the box with it (cable, strap, etc) and even the case itself is quite nice. My guitar is a PRS Mira in Frost Blue Metallic, one of the limited edition versions with the Santana headstock.

I'm used to buying a drum, and all you get is the drum, no case, no stand, no sticks. Just a drum.

petrus61 likes this.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Great looking bass!! I've always liked that color.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  8. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    What about straight pearloid? Its kind of in between white and antique. Thanks for the link btw. That's the other nice thing about drums, there's one finish and you are done.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Great looking bass!
    ps. the stock mint pickguard looks just fine on your bass!

heres my blizzard pearl am. std. jazz with the stock pickguard:

[​IMG]

petrus61, Pet Sounds, Tbone76 and 2 others like this.
  10. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    Yah it looks fine. I was kind of hankering for white pearl, always wanted an set of drums in that too and never got around to it. My wife's not particularly keen on the color of the bass yet, but I wasn't either first time I saw it online. But it grew on me quite a bit and I like it better than the 3 tone burst.

11. Black

pacojas likes this.
  12. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    I might be leaning that way now. Black would go nice with the pickups and the chrome knobs. Also be a nice contrast to the jade and maple.

13. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    Nice pics here of a Jade Pearl Strat with Antique White Pearl. Looks super classy.

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    The difference between the white pearloid and the pearloid is that the latter is solid pearloid not laminated. The white pearloid has laminations of soild white and black under the pearloid. On the pickguard page next to the full pickguard it shows a cutaway profile of the material that shows the different laminations (or not) of each selection.

Also, do an image search in google for Fender Jade Pearl Metallic and you will find pictures of different pickguards used on that color body.

15. Nice! Was considering a D Lakin in that colour.

I'd go with White Pearloid.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Tophat's link is were the images of tort on JPM the I found of my google image search come from.
    Nice link Tophat, thank you.

It appears that the JPM as Fender issues it has a slightly ambered topcoat and I believe this is why the vintage pearloid works so well with it.

17. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    Yah, its a cool pic for sure. He used the vintage. Black is certainly cool, but might work better with the rosewood board.

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Nice just the way it is. But if you feel you have to change it, I'd definitely go with the white pearloid.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  19. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Good looking bass, congrats! I think it looks great as is, IMO.

20. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Congrats! Jade pearl is one of those colors that will be sought after in a few years, I bet. Classy is the best way to describe it. If I were you, I'd try to find an Antigua pg for that color. Another TB'er matched them up, and it looked great, imo.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.