NBD - Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Apr 11, 2012.

1. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Here she is my brand new to me 1993 made in Korea Fender Precision bass. All stock, even though I am thinking about putting a black pick guard on her. Just picked it up with case and strap for $180. It may not be the fanciest, but I just needed something.

[​IMG]

2. That's a good deal. I really like the Korean P bass neck profile. Flatter and wider than most

3. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks, yeah I though so as well. I recently have become more of a hobbyist bassist after being "released" from my band. This bass should be great for casual play and jamming with friends.

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome score man! Should be a winner, I had a Korean made Telecaster once upon a time that was really nice. Yea, I agree that a B/W/B pickguard would look great an it.

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Hell man who cares about fancy. You got a great deal, and guess what, it DOES look like a great bass! Congrats! :bassist:

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Keep the white pickguard. It goes perfectly with the strap!

7. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks guys. I actually hate that strap, but he just threw it into the deal. I have just a plain black strap I'll probably use. I am thinking B/W/B PG would look good though.

8. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Just got it in the mail today. Just got done messing with it for about 20 minutes and I must say I am impressed with this bass, reminds me tone wise of my late 90's MIM P I had. The neck on this one is a little thicker/fatter, however I don't mind it and does not bother me. It has some ware like the person I bought it from disclosed, however it is nothing extreme, after all it is almost a 20 year old bass. Overall is was well worth the $180 price. The strap is kind of cheesy, I am still debating whether to put a B/W/B pick guard on her or leave the white one on it, but I will be getting a different strap along with some locks.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The strap is cheesy, but you have to consider whether or not it's so cheesy that it's actually cool. For me, yes it is. For you?

I like the bass, the color, the strap; the whole deal. If it plays and sounds nice, you have a winner there!

10. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
  11. aaronhutson

aaronhutson Guest

Apr 9, 2011
    Tulsa Oklahoma
  12. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    +1

13. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd go with the black pickguard.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You may want to double check the fit when buying a pg for your MIK, the last one I had was different. If you still have your MIJ (CAR E series I sold you)check it against that, the neck pocket area may be different. Keep in mind that MIJ takes a standard MIA pickguard just fine.

15. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I have thought about it and actually might just leave it the way it is. It's a great bass overall, don't really need to be changing anything.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I agree with this.

17. LowEndTheoryMan

LowEndTheoryMan Guest

Apr 1, 2012
    niiiice man. im startin to love p basses

18. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Yeah they are great. I have been playing them pretty much exclusively for almost all the years I have been playing bass.

19. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    My Korean P has the same issue with pickguards. It's my first bass, and I still have it because it sounds and plays much better than the price indicates. Congrats on a great find!

20. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks. It was a great find for a great price that turned out to be a really great bass. Not many great finds like this come to me when taking some sort of a risk like this, but I am glad when they work out.