1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender Parrallel Universe 51 Tele

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Dec 1, 2018.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I recently fell back in love with P Bass tone and have been seeking them. When I saw this one, I had to pre-order one. Well, it came yesterday from SweetWater. I have another pre-ordered with GC that I would sell or return whe it arrives. So, I know there were mixed opinions that were either personal preference or the typical Anti-Fender stuff. To be fair, I understand. Still, I wanted one of these. Will it be my new #1? Doubtful, but it could be. Do I find it pleasing in tone and cool to look at? Yep... A few quick phone photos from the unboxing this morning for your perusal.

F7A7D606-7B3D-45CD-B32E-E0EDD4D40995. 4AC09F95-6AF1-42F4-BE8B-3FB716600F3E. 288309A6-87E1-4D82-A43B-586A9D0139D8. B73A6A4E-2494-4628-924A-5D3E9414F8DC.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    tindrum, 19sixty3, ELG60 and 19 others like this.
  2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Looks great, congratulations!

Is it heavy and how does the slab body feel?

3. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    It isn’t heavy to my estimation. Haven’t played it long enough to really say about the body. It isn’t as cutting as others I have played and the shape seems to be more comfortable than others without contours that I’ve played. I’ll play it on a strap later today.

4. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    After playing it on the strap, I can say that it balances very well. It doesn't feel heavy to me. I also find the edge or lack of contour to be OK. I have played some where it was constantly cutting into your arm and that was unpleasant. This one, not so much. Plays well, balances well, I like it. I've ordered the La Bella through body flats and they should be here next week. Then, we will really get started.

citizenchris099, Border, EdBo and 3 others like this.
  5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I’d love to hear some sound clips of one of these - are they vmod pickups?

6. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    There is a YouTube video demo that’s pretty accurate. The pups are 60s custom shop.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Wow, i've never seen those. Very nice.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    So you intentionally purchased two items from two retailers with the intent of keeping one only?

Why would you do such a thing? Have you done this before?

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Wow, look nicer here than in their own ad!

BassJuju likes this.
  10. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Well, it was reportedly a "very limited edition" that had pre-orders that were disappearing. So, I pre-ordered 2. I wasn't even sure I would get one from the 2 orders. In the end, the one from Sweetwater was delivered as you can tell and was everything I wanted it to be. The one from GC was taking a long time to ship, so I just canceled the order.

On a similar note, I regularly order basses, try them, return them, request another of the same type, try it, return it, rinse and repeat until I get one that has the feel and tone I like. I don't know any other way to shop basses that aren't in stock. I picked my AO 60's P bass off the wall and took it home that day. I had 3 Rick's shipped to me before I found one that was up to my expectations of tone, fit and finish. I had 2 Elite Dimensions shipped before deciding they weren't up to my expectations.

charlie monroe likes this.
  11. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I love these basses. One day I will own one!

12. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Is that immoral for you? Let’s not get into ethics, as capitalism is inherently anything but ethical or moral.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  13. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How's the view from up there?

Let's not read any moral outrage into my question.
    My words are my words, no more and no less.

14. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Lol, ok, outrage is not a word I used either, but asking someone why they would do such a thing sounds kinda judgey.

Goatrope and BassJuju like this.
  15. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Not all of us have $4k to spend on 2 basses when all we require is one.

Judgey? No, more like astonished.

16. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Ah, I get it - sorry for my misunderstanding.

charlie monroe likes this.
  17. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Buy, return, buy, return, etc... is not against the rules. Anyone can feel free to do it. The companies are fine with this, they just raise prices and reduce discounts to compensate.

18. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    That bass looks amazing, hope it sounds as good as it looks!

BassJuju likes this.
  19. Yeah when you're buying an instrument online, you're gonna have to eat some restocking/shipping costs to find the right one. Personally, I think it's worth the effort. Especially if you can't go into a store and try them all.