1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD : Fender Precision MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigou, Oct 8, 2010.

1. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    I just bought it to have a backup for my trusty Stingray. Nice Pbass with a great color. I also bought the amp on the pictures. Take it to rehearsal yesterday and the bass sounds really good. I think it's a 2001. The pickguard was change but I think everything else is original.

2. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nice bass! Can't the beat the p-thump in the mix :)

3. That color reminds me of the Steve Harris sig bass. Nice!

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You might find yourself using it more and more than the Stingray... Stingrays are wonderful, but there's something undeniable about a P-Bass.

5. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    Love the color!

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Congrats. Nice color, nice PG

7. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    If I want to "upgrade" the pickup wich one do you suggest. I play in a country/folk/rock band.

8. rhopper

rhopper Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
  9. Don't upgrade the pickup, in my opinion. I swapped out the capacitor and put on an old set of chromes and mine sounds amazing, and if you're playing folk/country/whatever you'll probably find yourself playing this more :D Welcome to the family.

10. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    I have to change the mounting screws because they're all stripped. Does someone knows the best online shop in Canada to bought that kkind of screws?

11. Thats electron blue I think or it maybe the purplish color like the jazz I am selling, either way sweet!

I had a blue with black guard P at one point.

12. RnBass

RnBass

Jan 3, 2010
    "I would go with a Fender original 62'."

+1

I am using my MIM P for the same kind of music. The 62' has been a noticeable improvement.

13. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Seymour Duncan SPB-2,not as hot as the 1/4 pounders,but a little hotter than the spb-1. Gets amazingly dark and thumpy tone with the tone rolled off and classic p bass grind with it dimed.

14. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    OK Let's go shopping for one;)

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Duncan SPB-1. IMO, sounds exactly like a vintage P bass should.

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I play the same instrument, same year, and it's one of the very best sounding Precisions I've even used. Sweetened the sustain a little with a Gotoh 201 bridge, which also remedied the neck dive, and it really kills. One of the best deals I ever got. A Craigslist find, believe it or not. Good luck with yours. Hope it came off the same tree.

17. If you must change the pups, the Duncans are a great bet, but a cheaper route to country would just be putting some flats on and dialing in your EQ.

18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I got no complaints whatsoever about my stock pickups. Definitely give them a chance.

19. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... I've a 2002. Thought I'd have to swap out the pups but no... they're sweet.

20. I played a '01 MIM P for a while ..... I was going to swap out the pups for some MIJ '62RI pups I bought off eBay ....
    never felt the need to.