NBD - Fender Precision Roger Waters Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavetheDude, Feb 16, 2018.

1. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    So, I got myself a new (used) bass. This is my first Fender. I've never been a friend of Fender in the first place. I ordered two custom basses from Maruszczyk, but ever since I started listening to Blink 182, I always loved the tone of Mark's bass, so I decided to go for the original.

So far, the first playing was very comfortable and the bass sounds nice, though I am sure it will be even nicer when I get to play it with my live equipment, as that is also top notch. For home use, I have an Avalon u5 D.I. box and studio monitors, so it's not at all like playing it live. :)

Have some pictures:

P1030655.jpg P1030656.jpg P1030657.jpg

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Very cool. I’ve always wondered how the necks felt on these.

sigterm, CapnSev and DavetheDude like this.
  3. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    This neck is 44,5 mm wide (1.75"), so it's according to the specs of the Precisions from the 50s. As I have rather large hands, I looked out for this spec :)

dfoehr and petrus61 like this.
  4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome! Congrats!

DavetheDude likes this.
  5. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    The only problem I'd have with a Waters signature bass is the color. It would almost certainly be black.

But obviously that is a taste thing. :)

DavetheDude likes this.
  6. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Yes, sir! Though one of the above mentioned custom basses has an exotic wood top, i prefer it plain and simple. :)

JRA and Robroy like this.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Do they also have 7.25 radius and smaller frets like the 50’s models? The brass nut’s a nice touch.

Spidey2112 and JRA like this.
  8. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    According to Musician's friend, the radius is 9.5" and it's got 20 medium jumbo frets. I'm no expert by any means :D

9. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Nice! One thing I’ve always wondered on these: what noticeable differences does the brass nut produce?

10. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Sweet!! Play lots :)

DavetheDude likes this.
  11. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    No idea man, this is my first Fender ;)

12. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Haha true enough! You did say that in the first post, didn’t you? Well, maybe others will see this and chime in. Not something I’m burning to know, but something I’ve wondered for some time.

13. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Got a good deal on a used one myself. Neck is chunky and wide. Fretwork could be a little better definitely, but it overall fit and finish is great.
    IMHO opinion, I really hear no difference with the brass nut, but I slapped on some Labella flats as soon as I got it, and don't really remember how it sounded with the rounds on there.

DavetheDude likes this.
  14. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    When playing open notes using a Brass nut, theoretically being harder than bone or plastic, should produce a tone closer to that of a fretted note. They also are difficult to break. A Zero fret will mimic fretted notes, so the nut material is not as much of a concern.

DavetheDude likes this.
  15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nice. I always liked the way the black and maple looked.

BrentSimons and DavetheDude like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very nice black P. congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

open strings sound like fretted strings.

17. Brass nut is desirable. Are those vintage voiced pickups or something else? The black/black color scheme should go great with your tuxedo. Good luck with that bass.

DavetheDude likes this.
  18. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    It changes how the attack of the notes sound.

alaskaleftybass and DavetheDude like this.
  19. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    This model has Seymour Duncan SPB-3s in it, so not quite vintage voiced. Higher output, supposedly more bottom. I don't fancy the whole vintage humbug, but who knows, maybe I'll try some other pickups over time.

20. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    congrats! how does it compare to the maruszczyks?

DavetheDude likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021