1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD - Fender Precision V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGuyFL, Feb 28, 2017.

1. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    A new addition to the family got here today! Been happy with my Dingwall Combustion but it's a little too "modern" for my Billy Joel tribute so I wanted something more "traditional." I looked at a bunch of 5 string PJ's but nothing really stuck out and anything I liked (Mike Lull, Sadowsky, Roscoe, Valenti etc) was not in my budget. I wanted something that sounded like a Fender and well what sounds like a Fender but a Fender?

So I found some good YouTube vids including a nice one by Ed Friedland and set my sights on a Precision V. Found a good deal on Reverb and it arrived today. Slightly used but in great condition and most importantly it sounds like a P bass!

Now one issue I've always had with P basses is I have nowhere to put my thumb so I've really never had one since my first P copy way back when. Solved it by ordering a wood thumbrest that's attached with double-sided tape. I also saw a couple of guys that updated the string trees to the Hipshots so I did that mod as well. Put on some Dunlop strap lock pins and she's all set! I have a rehearsal tonight and 4 gigs this week and we'll see how she does under fire.

I know the rules no pics no bass so here ya go:

IMG_5387.JPG
    IMG_5388.JPG
    IMG_5389.JPG

BassmanM, Dr. Cheese, Klonk and 15 others like this.
  2. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Beautiful bass! Congrats!

3. russellh86

russellh86 Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Nice! I just bought the same bass on Reverb myself! FedEx says it will be here Thursday, but I'll likely wear out my F5 key refreshing the tracking info before then.

I took a slightly different approach with the string trees. After seeing how well the retainers worked on my AmDlx Jazz V, I went ahead and ordered a Fender Stealth Retainer for my P5. The extra break angle over the nut it gives the B string really seems to tighten the tone up on those low notes.

I'm torn over what stings to put I though. What set did you decide on?

G RICH 5 and HeavyDuty like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have one exactly like it. I bought it as a backup for a Roscoe Beck Sig but the Precision 5 became my #1 overnight.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  5. I'm trying so hard right now not to quote a stepbrothers line....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    bassstation and two fingers like this.
  6. Sorry. I couldn't resist. Nice bass though!

two fingers and skot71 like this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Ah, nothing like a 5 string bass.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  8. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    What strings do you use on your P5?
    I am keep switching between flats and rounds; both sound great...

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congrats on your new instrument, very nice! :thumbsup:

10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Dont worry!!! Gene just told me she' ll be fine!!!;)

under fire.png

congrats

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

macmanlou likes this.
  11. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I really don't know as of yet. Might be somewhat of an experiment. My other 2 basses are a Dingwall and a SMBB Ray 35. You need special strings for Dingwalls and I've just been using standard Slinkys on the Ray. I put a set of Slinkys on it last night and we'll see how the week goes. I know it comes stock with taper core strings and I might try some as well. I've been going with a .135 B string on my Ray and it seems to help out with the tension on a 34" scale 5.

12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Great looking bass, congratulations!
    Interesting idea and placement for the thumbrest.
    Never seen one there before.
    I tend to play over the pickup and added this to mine... 20170301_124716.jpg .

13. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    I don't know about the placement of that thumb rest. You'll find yourself playing closer to the neck before you know it.

14. russellh86

russellh86 Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    That thumb rest is interesting. Was the goal to give you a second anchor point for your thumb similar to the rear pick up on a Jazz?

15. Oneud

Oneud Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Ankh-Morpork
    Very nice! How does the B string compare to the one on your Combustion?

16. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    I loved mine, but don't play a fiver and it ended up sitting in the bag unused. So I sold it for gear I use every gig now. Sure wish I didn't have to do that. Enjoy, they are great playing basses!

17. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I had one. There is something that just feels right about these basses. Nice passive tone.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021