1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender Precision V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGuyFL, Feb 28, 2017.

1. It looks awesome. A bit surprising, though. I wouldn't have thought a fiver would be necessary for a Billy Joel tribute. Is that maybe for some later stuff?

2. bassaddicted

bassaddicted Inactive

Jan 11, 2017
    I recommend a set of these. They sound and feel awesome!
    Thomastik-Infeld T-I INFELD SuperAlloy Bass Strings - 5 String Set

3. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    One of the best P's I've played.

4. This is one bass I could really like. It matches my 2011 jazz. Nice

5. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    There's a few tunes that I need the 5 for and I'll use it for my country gig and classic rock gig too.

6. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Hard to quote on mobile but yes the thumb rest mounted near the bridge is to approximate a rear pickup and the B is decent but not as good as my Dingwall.

Been playing over 30 years and this is my first American Fender!

Oneud likes this.
  7. Is it me or are the strings out of line with the dots?? Shouldn't the A be over the centre? And the G is very close to the edge of the fingerboard.

8. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I love the thumb rest. Thumping a P near the bridge gives you the ersatz jazz tone

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    well better late than never :D:thumbsup:

may the AM Fenderbass be with you

Wise(b)ass

10. bassstation

bassstation terms of enRAMPAGEment

"We only play 80's joel"

11. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I bought the exact same bass about a year ago. It's an incredible playing and sounding instrument. The nicest bass I've ever had.

It's not just you. However, the saddles have multiple grooves for positioning the string side-to-side to get it over the magnets, or over the dots, or away from the edge of the fingerboard, whatever someone might choose.

12. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Congrats! I love my P V both live and for studio work. Great idea for the string trees. Regarding string, I love Duncan Super Brights on my P V. Great warm sound with high end sheen and killer B string. Cheap too.

13. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Congratulations! Very nice bass. I have a similar Bass, a 2012, American Standard Precision V. I have mine strung with Fodera Stainless Steel Rounds with a .130 tapered B string. It's my #1 player.

I've learned that a higher action for the B string functions best and with a light touch on the B string produces epic Fender PBass tones

I removed the velcro'd-on Jazz Bass Bridge cover. Now I just shove a piece of foam under the strings. IMG_20160126_144944036_HDR.jpg Enjoy!

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like the AmStd P5s enough that I have three - 3TSB/rosewood, black/maple and TBD/defretted rosewood (still under construction.) Great basses!

mexicant likes this.
  15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Just saw this revived thread today....

I use a P5 for the few Billy Joel songs I play and the B string is now indespensible. You May Be Right as an example. I use the 5th position E throughout the song and would likely be lost if I played that song on a 4 string without a bit of practice.

Very underrated basses IMO.

16. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I play my 2010 p5 exclusively! The 4 strings just dont meet my needs anymore.With the addition of my mesa amp and some ernie ball slinkys it kills! Tone nirvana and yes the b string sounds awesome. 20170507_193603.jpg

bassplayer2014 likes this.
  17. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    An update. The thumbrest I added wasn't really working kept getting in the way. I experimented with a couple other variations when I realized the best solution would be a back pickup but I don't want to cut up my bass.

So after some thinking I fashioned a piece of scrap wood to resemble the size and height of a back pickup and got out the double-sided tape again! It's a lot more to my liking but I am learning that the sweet spot is right over the pickup.

Also I swapped the pickup out for a Nordstrand NP5F Alnico 3. It's more of a warmer 60's tone. It's a subtle difference from the stock one but it kills live and in our IEM's. I run a direct signal just DI to monitor and FOH.

Really digging it and so does the band. I've used it on my other gigs too there's really no situation it won't work in.

Pic of the new thumbrest:

IMG_5576.JPG

mexicant likes this.
  18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I do the same thing on P basses. I put mine on with double sided tape, too. I prefer the sound of a P played near the bridge. I get more definition and snarl.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That bass has the classic look. I love it!

RichardCranium likes this.
  20. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    That was the point I wanted it to be as old school looking as possible!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021