NBD Fender Roadworn Precision, Hoss done gone country!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godofthunder59, May 11, 2021.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Really my nick name is Hoss, given to me during my tenure at the House of Guitars.
    I am going to be working with a great country artist, I can give more details soon. In the past when I need to hit those low notes I've built custom BEAD basses. This time around I bought a Fender 50's Roadworn. This bass kicks total a$$, even with the stock strings it drops down to BEAD great, I can't wait to get it strung with heavier gauge strings. I'll be using this on about 25% of the set. More to come. Resized_20210511_104600(0).jpg Resized_20210511_104718.jpg

2. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    20210511_193408.jpg

3. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    2-tone sunburst + gold anodized pickguard + maple fingerboard = the BEST on a P bass.

ReillyProductions likes this.
  4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Gorgeous! Enjoy, and good luck with the new gig :thumbsup:

Reminds me, I’m overdue for a trip to HOG. Haven’t been in since Father’s Day 2019....

5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Roadworns are the gnarly siblings of 50s Classic basses, and my 50s honey blonde is a mainstay. I've only gone down to Eb standard for a country gig, but the baseball bat neck didn't move a nanometer, so I'm betting going down to BEAD is pretty painless. And yep--they're just fantastic sounding; to me, completely incredible tone for the money and period.

I've owned a total of two P basses, and feel that I skipped past a search of 20 or 30 instruments to find the P tone that rings in as my personal Shangri-La.

Congrats on the score and play the living dog snot out of it!

6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Daum this thing fantastic, I'll post a video soon. I'm so glad I bought it!

ReillyProductions, BassBuzzRS and JRA like this.
  7. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    This isn't a Thunderbird...I'm confused.

But also, I do have a soft spot for 'burst Precisions with a gold guard so...

ReillyProductions and MattZilla like this.
  8. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Lol yeah me too. The artist I will be working with wants Fender so Fender it is. Lots of travel and fly gigs At least I don't have to worry about the headstock snapping off.

9. ColoRADoKT

ColoRADoKT

May 5, 2018
    Man. I don’t need more than one p-bass. But. But. That’s my next one!

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000

I’m sorry many miss that each instrument is different. They miss that some musicians feel that a particular instrument is for them. They want to quantify all the aspects. Actually it’s the sum of the aspects that make this one right for you and the next one right for me.

What music can we wrest out of this creation? Does it inspire? Does it call you to play? Does it stay out of the way so your technique evolves? Is it consistent? Can it do its thing in different acoustics, inside/outside, cool/hot?

To me these qualities foretell a long relationship. I had an actual ‘57 in ‘69 and now own a Fullerton RI. OP! Enjoy that bass!

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    godofthunder59 likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks like a very cool ax --- sounds like a very cool gig! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

12. squish

squish

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Is that a 1.75" nut?

13. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've been on the lookout for a 50's Roadworn P-Bass. When they were originally released it wasn't quite what I was looking for sonically. But tastes change, and I really appreciate the sound of that instrument much more now. I've had a Roadworn Jazz bass for a little over 10 years now, and it's a fantastic instrument. I have no doubt that the Roadworn P-Bass is just as good.

14. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I have lots of vintage gear, 50s, 60s, 70s, I need a road dog for this gig.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  15. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Youtube ramblings.

16. ColoRADoKT

ColoRADoKT

May 5, 2018
    Thanks for posting this! Such a rad bass.

17. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I like how you included all the takes :D

godofthunder59 likes this.
  18. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Cant beat a good playing P-bass.

19. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Blooper reel.

20. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I was wondering what pickup was in the RW, and found this post from 11 years ago on BassChat:

"Having put a deposit down on a Road Worn Precision just the other week, and read many good reviews since, I picked up on the fact that people were not sure what pickup was used in the Road Worn series basses, knowing only that it didn't seem like a MIM Pickup. Well, I emailed Fender to find out. Here's their reply:

Hello. Thanks for writing in. That pickup is the same thing as an American Standard pickup. We use it in our 50’s Precision Bass out of Mexico as well. I hope this will help you out."

On their website, Fender no longer seem to offer a pickup with that name. There is the Original Precision Bass Pickup: "an accurate reproduction of the 1962 Precision Bass pickup, this split-coil humbucking pickup delivers powerful bass and clear high-end. From vintage bobbin construction to genuine original-era cloth wiring, all Fender Pure Vintage pickups are wound to precise specifications for authentic, traditional Fender tone and performance."

Will that be the same thing?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021