1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender Special Edition Noir Precision Bass with upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassstrangler, Nov 4, 2018.

1. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    I was lucky enough to pick this up by a trade for an upgraded Squier parts bass.

The original pickguard is the matte black with the red center layer. Unfortunately it was quite scratched and kind of deterred from the overall aesthetic of the bass. I had the black Hipshot tuners, knobs, Kickass bridge, string trees ( for some reason the original owner added an additional string tree), brand new D'Andrea red pearloid pickguard, and Geezer Butler pickups. All of the parts were either on another bass or laying around ( I have a bass that had the black hardware on it, but it looks better with chrome). So, unlike Fender I decided to go with all black hardware. Fender kind of missed the mark with the chrome parts on this bass. 20181104_114930. 20181104_115029. 20181104_114939. 20181104_115007.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. Looks great! Except that red pearloid! Reminds me of an accordion...

3. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Well, we all have our opinions, but thanks for the compliment.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Looks great! I local store had one of these, and it played better than some MIA fenders I've played .

retslock and bassstrangler like this.
  5. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks, it is a good feeling neck. I'm glad this is one has the rosewood fretboard, unfortunately they switched to Pau Ferro in mid production run. Pau Ferro looked way to light for anything called noir.

6. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Congrats, it looks great, especially with your minor tweaks.

You’re correct, the black hardware just looks “right” on there, and although I’m not usually a fan of pearalescent pickguards, that one is dark enough and red enough to really look badass.

Thanks for sharing; hope you get years of music making enjoyment out of it!

7. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks, and also thanks for not shaming my pickguard on a NBD.

8. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Well, I'll go one further... that pick guard is just striking... especially against the satin black! Great upgrades all around! I thought for a moment on getting one of these too. Ah, so many cool choices to consider out there... :thumbsup:

9. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I find this quite disturbing. Should I contact the Arizona State law enforcement agency? :bag:

n1as and jackn1202 like this.
  10. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    I find it disturbing that's the only thing you could come up with. I edited the post so Englishmen like you won't have to worry about complicating my life.

11. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks for the compliment.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Me too!

But I see that as a plus. :thumbsup:

bassstrangler likes this.
  13. Red perloid looks good on black basses. Certainly better than most of the cheap salami looking tort in circulation these days.

14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I actually prefer mine over my American Standard.

Jon Muir and bassstrangler like this.
  15. I wouldn't say I "shamed" it, just voiced my opinion which I guess is what these threads are about. Glad you like it! Also lol @ the "Englishmen" comment... Whats his nationality got to do with it? *Shakes head*

Jon Muir and Lammchop93 like this.
  16. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Very nice! The Red looks great. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself.

Jon Muir and bassstrangler like this.
  17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    It's my impression that a NBD isn't necessarily the place to say you don't like things about the new bass. Maybe I'm mistaken. I've just noticed the unnecessary need for people to put semi-trollish comments in NBD threads. Such as, I could say, you must be shaking your head because you suffer from delirium tremens. A totally unnecessary comment.
    His nationality has nothing to do with it. I just noticed he was from Leicester and didn't see the need for him to worry about what goes on in Arizona. This of course was if his comment was made in jest or not. And yes, to me a total unnecessary comment in a NBD thread.

Artman and blacktocomm like this.
  18. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    I really like it;especially with that pick guard. If it were mine, I might even put some black strings on it, though some might think that would be a bit much. Congratulations on a beautiful bass!

Uncle Hanky and bassstrangler like this.
  19. BadBud3

BadBud3

Apr 22, 2018
    Love it!~!!, I've been considering some along the same lines for a while.

bassstrangler likes this.
  20. Delirium tremens happens to be an excellent belgian beer, as well as alcoholic withdrawal shakes. I wasn't trolling, just stated that the red pearloid reminds me of accordions. In a worldwide forum the opportunity for other people to comment on things from Arizona, Leicester, Bangkok, Shanghai, Nairobi or wherever exists. It's part of what makes this forum great and why I'm still here after 12 years. This got derailed so I will reiterate my original comment - looks great but the pickguard makes me think of an accordion ;)

EddiePlaysBass likes this.