NBD - Fender Squier VM P/J ...getting better by the minute!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    sometimes saving for priorities sucks but failing has it's benefits, and snagging a pristine cheapo Squier is thankfully showing promise after jacking an uncooperative P PU (no springs?) to the max and going with whatever steel wounds came on it. at least it sounds 'good' now tho the mid-rangy personality is meh so far and decidedly not a punchy force, plays fine up n down and nice n even all across, only decent scope and clarity ...but with the dreaded 'piano tone' everybody else seeks. it's certainly sturdy overall and fit with solid hardware, looks perfect for a standard Fender product, plus the body is indeed super light as often advertised so there's a bit of neck diving, nothing to niggle about except the expected questionable electronics. coming off my Peavey T-40 this feels like a toy and since it's merely intended as a mod platform it has served it's purpose already as a fun jam which will only get better with flats, new guts / shielding etc., probably a single coil mudbucker at the neck to blend with the new quiet PnJ, and with three PUs I can use a classic Fat-o-caster* fun dial.
    this was a bittersweet buy with a local teacher folding his tent and heading to more affordable Vegas, the seller is one of very few bass tuts around so that's unfortunate, but the bass was a totally set up low action ready to rock no-risk deal and at a buck fiddy with no dead spots it nicely fills an open slot. considering the VM P/J is maybe as good as what I've been saving for at half the price I'll call it a sure win, and if the other supposedly better bass waits for me then hell yes. actually, this one in my paws has gotten way sweeter in just the time it's taken to write this blerb while tweaking this and riffing that, more good signs, and I haven't even pushed the amps yet!
    * Deaf Eddie - Guitar Whacko!
    Fender Squire P-Bass BRAND NEW!
    upload_2018-3-26_17-31-45.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Thundertips, pudge and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    How come you Capitalise all the nouns but leave the beginnings of sentences as lower case letters? Is that how it's taught in American English?

Seems strangely inconsistent.

generalduncan and outoftune like this.
  3. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Yeah that was a tough read.

I think you like your bass tho, so that's good.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    at imminent risk of going off the edge of incomprehensible giddiness again let me confirm the many positives!
    after all is said and done we've found ourselves (me and my new best friend) in that glorious happy place where Mountain and Grand Funk tube amp ripping and snorting is what this new match up does best, in this extreme setting the VM is somehow more perfectly suited to all degrees of attack than most of my other grinders, and that's where I live so I might not be changing anything for a while. funny how the cheap pos turn out to be the winners! btw, this is just thru my little secret weapon apt. amp (ROLAND MICRO CUBE RX the angry Ampeg fridge killer in a lunchbox) and anything that passes that torture test has great potential, plus it's still in the mickey mouse setup stages as everything rides kinda high on this sucker, yet it's comfortable and feels normal...
    to all those subscribed to this intrigue I submit v in appreciation

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021