1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender Standard Precision Bass Limited Edition Ocean Turquoise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThingsAbove, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    It's been probably 15 years since I owned a P-Bass. I recall that I bought one when I started playing bass and seemed to think it only had one sound. No one told me that's the sound you want for 50% of popular music.
    Well I'm older, and not much wiser, but I hear it's a good idea to have a P-Bass.

The strings are super zingy so I can't make a fair assertion about how it sounds yet. I'll probably throw on a set of flats that have been waiting for a P for many years.

This is the first neck that I've played in many years that doesn't have rolled edges and I'm such a wuss that the fingerboard edge is very distracting. I'll need to roll them a bit for comfort. It doesn't have any fret whiskers yet but I can take care of them if they grow when the air dries out. I'm told this is a comfortable neck, but as I'm used to Jazz necks it feels rather large right now. I'm sure I'll adapt with some play time. I used to play an 8 string bass (NS/Stick) and THAT had a big neck.

Regarding the appearance, I'm not sure what drew me to this model other than it was on sale for under $600. In my opinion it's one of the ugliest factory colors I've seen come out of Fender, especially on a maple neck instrument. BUT it has a Tort pickguard so that makes up for most sins. Honestly, I think the Ocean Turquoise would look better with a white pickguard and white pup covers, but then it wouldn't be Tort, ah but I digress again. Here's some pictures.

The camera is not capturing how truly blue-GREEN this thing is. I mean it's really, really dark-green turquoise. The photos make it look much bluer (and better looking) than it is in reality.

IMG_20190419_170047.jpg

The saddles are really cheap die-cast looking things. I'll probably replace the bridge... but you do get to see the sparkle in the paint...

DSCF0185.jpg

The tuners are equally uninspiring and operate roughly. My last MIM bass (JMJ Mustang) came with some really nice Hipshot brand tuners, but it did cost more. I guess it got upgraded hardware. The knobs on this P-bass wobble when turned, so the shafts are already bent... it's okay, I'll replace the pots soon.

DSCF0195.jpg

The truss rod hole is not skunk stripe wood, they've just applied a thin bit of black paint around the hole which was already coming off.

DSCF0192.jpg

While the 4-ply pickguard is a nice touch, it is so unevenly cut that it has chunks missing around the edges.

DSCF0187.jpg

OTOH, the neck pocket is nice and tight.

DSCF0188.jpg

and the pickup covers have nice smooth edges... Nothing sharp or uncomfortable for your thumb, and oooh look at the Tort... did I mention it has Tort?

DSCF0189.jpg

The neck and maple fingerboard didn't have any objectionable grain lines... I don't like seeing grain in a maple fingerboard.

DSCF0194.jpg

I'm glad to have a P-Bass again, and it is such an... unusual color choice... that I think it will truly be a collectible in 30 years :)

Attached Files:

2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Beautiful bass, congrats!

3. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I have the same bass and after a month, the honeymoon phase is almost over. I still haven’t warmed up to the color and I’ve never liked tort anything. The maple board is just too bright for me, especially with the new strings I put on and it’s a bit on the heavy side IMO. Neck was bowed and it needed a setup. It’s also get some rough fret edges, not too bad but still rough.

Wanted a Pau Ferro board P but didn’t want to spend alot and ended up with a 2019 Squier Affinity PJ on sale for $179. The stupid thing is that this cheap, Indonesian made Squier has no rough fret edges and built quite well and sounds really good, even when I played it against the Players Series P there I’ve played before. I was going to turn it into a project but may not do much to it other than put some real pots in it, pickups sound pretty good.

Kinda sad that a $199 bottom end Squier needed less work and is built a bit better in regards to fret edges. It’s always a mixed bag though I guess. There are even bad MIA Fenders. Keep us updated on how you like the bass!

Interspace Station likes this.
  4. Looks pretty! Congratulations.

5. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I've had fret whiskers on all level of basses and classical guitars. The variability of the moisture content in the wood and the relative humidity where the instrument is kept can make it happen to anything that doesn't have a bound neck (and I've even seen it on one bound neck). I had a Lakland 55-01 with a maple neck that would draw blood until I fixed it.

Maybe roasted necks are the solution (baking the moisture out of the wood prior to installing frets should do it). I haven't heard any reports of fret whiskers on roasted necks.

I've learned to do most repairs on my own, besides refretting. Getting rid of fret whiskers is easy if you have a good set of files, patience and a steady hand.

So if you like an instrument but it has sharp frets, get them taken care of or keep it in a humidity controlled case until it re-hydrates and they go away.

Concerning the color of the Ocean Turquoise... yes, it's hideous but that makes it unusual in the world of pretty instruments. I'm not much of a looker any more either so maybe we're a good fit.

puff father, 68Tele-Bass and mbell75 like this.
  6. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I'm actually kind of shocked to see how many corners were cut on that bass.

I guess I'm not used to this because I only buy used, it's cheaper and usually any weak points have been addressed already by the previous owners. Also I tend to stick with MIA and MIJ. Recently got a MIC CV that I'm quite happy with. Korean stuff seems generally OK too. If this is an indication of the quality of the current MIM products, I'm glad I've stayed away.

Not trying to knock your new bass, but I think I'd go with one of the higher end Squiers myself.

7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    He unfortunately got a bit of a bad example. Mine is quite nice and so is the other one my friend bought that Ive seen in person.Mine has some cool grain thru the fretboard which the OP would not like but I think it looks awesome.

SJan3 likes this.
  8. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Higher end Squiers are going down on purpose. You can still find CV P (black one). But, rest of the good Squiers are gone. I have 2, which are, right now, out of production. VM P sounds better than Fender P MIJ.
    VM Jazz 77 sounds better than many Fenders made I had in my hands in past.

9. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I have a fairly critical eye and have seen similar shortcuts on previous American made instruments I've owned. The bent pot shafts are because it was hanging up in GC for a while. The pickguard issue is not visible more than a foot away. The tuners and bridge are the nature of non US parts and would be found on the Squires as well.

I don't generally care much what an instrument looks like if I like the sound. I do like buying from GC because of the lengthy return policy. 45 days is normally long enough to determine if I'm going to like it or not.

SJan3 likes this.
  10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    a bass.

Wisebass likes this.
  11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    My local music store has the jazz version and I agree the pictures do not do the color justice. While the color is not for me, it is stunning in person.

Beautiful bass!

Good Luck!

12. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    ^ is what I would do if I needed a P : Squier Precision Blonde with Maple neck and fingerboard

Tvrtko likes this.
  13. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    Nice pictures. It used to be that you needed an SLR to get that narrow depth of field. Is that what you were using (with a macro lens)? Or was it some kind of magical cell phone that does it all in software?

14. I can’t speak to the photos here, but the camera on my iPhone XS Max is incredible. If only it had an external sync connection (or, better yet, a built-in Pocket Wizard or Quantum Radio Slave radio for slaving studio flash), it would have most of what a portrait photographer would need. I’m constantly amazed by it.

Yes, I could use optical slaves, but they’re unreliable when others are taking pics.

15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Love the color... nice score!

16. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    Pics were taken with a Pixel phone and a Fuji X30.

I had a couple hours to play it through some of our standards, listening to how the LEOT (Limited Edition Ocean Turquoise) sounds in a mix. I adjusted the truss rod to taste, set the string height and it only required minor tweaks to get the intonation spot on. It has the stock strings for now and they are super bright and lighter gauge than what I'm used to so that's interesting to me.

It sets very nicely in a mix with the tone from 25%-50%. Beyond that it loses a lot of character and rolled all the way off it's not musical at all. I'll want to try some replacement pots and caps for certain. My Mustang and Jazz have way more usable tone controls so I'll need to fix that if I keep it.

The neck (other than the non-rolled fingerboard edges) is GREAT. I love the neck. In has a great feel and the satin finish on the back is really smooth, even with sweaty mitts. I don't recall my last P-bass neck feeling nearly this nice.

The other thing that is a surprise is the P-bass body. It balances absolutely perfectly on a strap or when I'm sitting. In fact, when I'm sitting it is far more comfortable to practice with than my Jazz or my EB basses. It's even more comfortable than the Mustang. It just fits me.

I can't believe I went through so many basses over the years and avoided a Precision, I'm stoked. I still think the color is... weird and the tone pot/cap needs a swap but so far I'm really pleased with the LEOT.

17. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I took a peek in the control cavity last night to see what kind of cap and pots the LEOT had. The pots were completely no-name and the capacitor was the tiniest 503 disc cap (50nf) I think I've seen in an instrument. They certainly are saving money there. They'll be going to SMT caps next. My MIM Mustang at least hand nice Korean pots and a big disc cap.

More surprising was there was factory attempt at RF shielding the control cavity. There was carbonized paint on the bottom of the control cavity, and splashed up a bit on one of the sides. I mean really; if you're gonna put some RF shielding paint in there can the QC guy at least tell someone to finish the job...

2019-04-22 15_35_38-IMG_20190421_233326 (2).jpg.png

18. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Very lovely bass! I'm interested in this sale item, too.
    Is the body wood made of alder?

Also, is the single coil pickup Alnico V?

I see that Guitar Center has both the Standard and Player versions of this Ocean Turquoise p bass, and I'm trying to see if it's worth spending the extra $100. The other thing I've heard is that all of the Standard versions are basically "floor model" in terms of quality at this point (I guess meaning that they are a little rough around the edges in more ways than one, questionable QC, etc.?).
    I wonder if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison between the Standard and the Player versions.

19. Swingin

Swingin

Apr 29, 2018
    I don’t think the color would look nearly as hideous with a white or black pickguard. :p YMMV

20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Happy NBD

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021