NBD: Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 11, 2016.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I have wanted one of these ever since they were released around 1991 and now, thanks to an excellent fellow TBer, I have it:

body_1.jpg full.jpg fe920c1b-89af-47e7-a8d9-aefaf8baeb9a.jpg

I put her through her paces at band practice tonight and everyone loved how it looked and sounded.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pic didn't work for me.

I owned one very briefly. My big hands couldn't get around it which truly disappointed me.....because that bass was so freaking cool!

Congrats and enjoy

selowitch likes this.
  3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Pics fixed.

4. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The medium-scale (32") two-octave neck with the asymmetrical neck profile and pau ferro fingerboard is really nice to play on. Not a scratch on her that I could find. Pretty good for a twenty-five-year-old bass! With all three pickups engaged in active mid-boost mode, my bandmates remarked that it sounded like a vintage Rickenbacker.

Tbone76 and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I got my hands on one for the first time a few weeks ago. Just played it for a minute. Very svelte. Congrats.

selowitch likes this.
  6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I dig the fact that it's so lightweight and easy-to-play. Less strain on the shoulders, back, and neck. Maybe I'll even stand up to play!

7. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    If you need a backup let me know. I can point you to another from a very reputable source - no affiliation.

selowitch likes this.
  8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Thanks. For now, I'm just going to enjoy this one!

9. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Too late. PM sent.

Buszkock and selowitch like this.
  10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    No problem at all.

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I've had opportunities to buy one of these in the Burgundy Mist color, but I was holding out for the Sherwood Green and this particular one is in nearly perfect condition (just a few screws missing from the rear cavity plate and replacements are already on order).

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. Very nice :thumbsup:.

selowitch likes this.
  13. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Ah, I'd love to have one of those things! Congratulations!

Always wondered why JPJ wasn't a more popular pickup configuration alongside the standard JP.

Tbone76, BlueAliceOasis and selowitch like this.
  14. Nice find, may you have many wonderful hours with that beauty.

I am especially enamored with no dots on the face of the fingerboard, and I wish my "Urge" didn't have them.

selowitch likes this.
  15. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    According to this page on Fender's website, this bass has a stereo output jack. Don't most basses have mono jacks? What advantage does this confer? Should I get a stereo cable and send the signal to a left and right speaker somehow? Reminds me of a Rickenbacker 4003, except that bass has two mono jacks, I believe.

16. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I made a cable suggestion in the medium scale club.

From what I remember, the stereo output jack was a design choice to accommodate the Kubicki preamp and all of the wiring combinations.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    selowitch likes this.
  17. I'm STILL GASing for an Urge I or II since they came out... maybe someday... Congrats on yours though! Looks beautiful. Enjoy it!

selowitch likes this.
  18. DCGuy

DCGuy

Apr 12, 2016
    Washington DC, USA
    Very cool. Love the pickup configure.

selowitch likes this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Rics have one mono and one "stereo" jack, it's not real stereo, just splits pups to two outputs with a stereo cable setup. @Aceonbass makes a single jack stereo output similar to what it sounds like you have for Ric basses. If you can get a "Y" splitter cable, you can run output to two amps, one for each of two pups, not sure how that would work with three pups. It sounds fantastic bi- amped, but of course, twice the gear. Not bad with class D micro amps.

Tbone76 and selowitch like this.
  20. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow, is that ever in nice shape. Congrats!

selowitch likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021