NBD: Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Congrats, I've played a couple of those over the years in music stores and always loved the necks; if only there was a 5-strong version I'd be all over it! Sexy color too, especially with the matching headstock.

selowitch likes this.
  2. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice! That's one of the original one's, right? I too drooled over them when they came out. Bass Player was giving one away and my 12 year old self just knew I'd win. One of many time's I've been wrong!

Congrats, she's a beauty!

BlueAliceOasis and Brother Goose like this.
  3. Very nice.

selowitch likes this.
  4. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I got to play one of these at a backyard jam back in the 90's and it felt like a TOY. Between the high output, short scale, and a great setup I could effectively eat a BBQ chicken leg while hammering notes with my left hand. (it is a Stu Hamm bass, after all)

Congrats on a funky little axe!

selowitch likes this.
  5. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Seems like the previous owner took exquisitely good care of it.

6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    This is very likely to become my main four-string because of its low weight and comfortable neck. Plus it has nice tonal flexibility.

7. Dumb question here .... Is the asymmetrical neck such that it's thinner under the E string and fatter under the G string? Or the other way around? Or here is my crude drawing to show what I mean ... I assume it is like the one on the right (thinner under the E string) ... but just wanted to make sure.
    Teardrop_Neck.jpg

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Unofficially, I’d say the former: thicker toward the top or E side of the neck and thinner toward to G side.

9. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes, it’s an MIA Fender Stu Hamm Signature Urge Bass, the first signature model bass produced by Fender. It became informally known as the “Urge I” after the long-scale Urge II and medium-scale Urge Standard (MIM) were subsequently released.

johnson79 likes this.
  10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Would serial number SE91xxxxx indicate 1991 as the production year?
    The Fender USA product dating page says that SE9xxxxxx indicates or suggests it’s a signature model constructed in 1989, but that seems a bit too early as according to a Bass Player (September 1992) article, Stu Hamm approached Fender about designing this bass in 1991.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  11. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Funny, I remember reading the fender magazine (you know the one dealers would give you for free back in the day) article about the Urge when it came out and I remember something about how the neck profile changed as you went up the neck. Stu spec'ed that as he kept his thumb in the back of the neck and wanted one that felt more natural as his hand pulled in closer to his body.

Note: this is just a hazy memory from when I was 12. I have never actually held one. ;)

12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Beautiful. Congrats.

Out of all of Fender's signature models over the years, the Stu Hamm and the Roscoe Beck seem to have stuff that I'd actually want on a bass. As of yet, I own neither...but a boy can dream, right?

selowitch likes this.
  13. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    mmmm you can just taste the versitality

selowitch likes this.
  14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Was just practicing with it this afternoon. So many useful tones! Passive mode may be my favorite, but the active mode is great, too.
    Here is a little reference card I printed up for myself that explains the controls:

controls.png

SirMjac28 likes this.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I absolutely love these basses and your bass is a beautiful example congrats

steelbed45 and selowitch like this.
  16. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    I've had mine Urge bass for several years. It was my main player for at least a couple years.
    I should pull it down off the wall and give it some love.

The tone (once dialed in) is very unique on that bass. My only difficulty was with how 'hot' the pre-amp is. If I play that bass, I have to reconfigure the settings on my entire pedal board...
    I recorded with it for one session a couple of years ago. The engineer just about had babies trying to manage the output levels.

selowitch likes this.
  17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Wouldn't an DI pedal with an adjustable output have taken care of that?

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    These basses aren't common enough! I have owned three colors and currently have a green one. Different strokes, I guess, because burgundy mist was my favorite, even if the color made me think it should have come wrapped in a Bazooka Joe comic.

selowitch and petrus61 like this.
  19. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada

Taken care of which scenario? The 'too hot for my pedal board' scenario, or the 'too hot for the studio engineer' scenario?

selowitch likes this.
  20. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Either, I suppose. But I was thinking of the studio engineer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021