NBD: Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    That's beautiful and something special for sure. Congrats!

selowitch likes this.
  2. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    For the studio situation, he had di'ed me out of my Mesa Walkabout head. So the di output from the head was too hot for his setup (even when I turned down my di out on the head). Rather than fight him about it, I pulled out my trusty Aerodyne P and played that. I'm not a studio guy, and don't pretend to understand the intricacies. All I know is that we were paying by the hour, and he was gobbling up money farting around.

As far as my pedal board goes, the Stu is my only active bass, so where I can plug in any of my passive basses in and get an acceptable sound, it takes a bit of fiddling to get an acceptable tone from the Stu. With that said, once it's all dialed in for Stu, it sounds stellar. It's just a lot of work based on the fact that I have 8 or 10 really nice passive basses, and only one active bass.

With all that said though, I really do like my Stu, and I should make a point of playing it more. It's a bass that just feels good in my hands.

selowitch likes this.
  3. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    For me, this really looks to be the-bass-of-a-lifetime.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  4. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Yup. You'll notice that I said "I should pull it off the wall and play it more", not "I should decide whether to keep it".

Mines a keeper.

BlueAliceOasis and selowitch like this.
  5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    No dispute or criticism intended there.

6. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    None taken at all. :thumbsup: I was agreeing with you, lol.

There's a couple of basses in my life that have turned into "keepers". I've bought and sold quite a few basses over the last few years. My Stu is in the "keeper" pile.

selowitch likes this.
  7. That is a SWEET looking bass, I bet it sounds great :bassist: Stu Hamm had a workshop at my local music store a few years back, unfortunately I missed it due to work but the guy is a phenomenal player from what I hear. I'm curious, OP (or anyone that owns one), with all 3 pups on, does it sound similar to a Gibson G3? You know, that mid-range, throaty growl? Here's a link for reference:

selowitch likes this.
  8. bobt3719

bobt3719 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Brooklyn /NY
    I believe all active basses have a stereo output jack. That is how you turn on the preamp. Otherwise the preamp would always be on.

selowitch likes this.
  9. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yeah, the Urge can sound a bit like that. The Grabber in that video has a bit more dirt or grit in the sound, but there are clearly similarities. Sadly, I lack the videography and audio recording capabilities right now to make a decent demo.

Jordandrinkwine likes this.
  10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    You mean, always on even when unplugged? That would not be good. So is there any need to insert anything other than a regular mono 1/8" instrument cable into it? If I inserted a 1/8" stereo instrument cable, could I conceivably split the signal between two amps, say, on either side of the stage? Would this be desirable?

11. bobt3719

Mar 17, 2013
    Brooklyn /NY
    when you remove the jack that turns off the preamp .. so never leave the jack plugged into the bass.

selowitch likes this.
  12. bobt3719

Mar 17, 2013
    Brooklyn /NY
    as far as I know there is no stereo .. the stereo jack is only used to turn the preamp on when plugged in ...

13. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Okay, that's good to know. Is that the sole purpose of having the stereo jack, or can it also be used to send the signal in two directions simultaneously?

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Sorry, our posts crossed. I guess there's only one way to find out for sure.... Try it!

15. bobt3719

Mar 17, 2013
    Brooklyn /NY
    you would need to rewire your bass to have that capability ...

selowitch likes this.
  16. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Naah, I was merely curious. And I have no interest in modding a rare and pseudo-vintage USA Fender.

17. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    To be clear: the stereo jack is used as a mono jack. There is no stereo output. The extra lug on the plug is used to turn on the pre-amp when a guitar cord is plugged in...

steelbed45 and selowitch like this.
  18. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes, thank you for that clarification. It makes sense to me now.

19. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Nice! Same town too.

selowitch likes this.
  20. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    It *would* be cool if you could do a 'ric-o-sound' sorta deal though...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021