NBD: Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 11, 2016.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I suppose it would. Oh, well. Good reason to buy a Rickenbacker 4003, ain't it?

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    had to log in to say...i have one. i pulled all the electronics since i am NOT an active guy. may leo forgive me. i have barts installed, each pickup with its own volume control. loooove mine! my next to last bass i will ever sell...no chance of that happening though.

urge_usa.JPG

selowitch likes this.
  3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Nifty mod!

yodedude2 likes this.
  4. Those are fancy basses :thumbsup::bassist:

selowitch likes this.
  5. What, no barbecued chicken hammer-ons?! Seriously, nice find. I've always wondered what they sound like in person.

selowitch likes this.
  6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Punchy, bright, somewhat pronounced in the midrange. A lot of people mention that it sounds like a Rickenbacker. As I get more used to the controls, I'm sure more sounds will emerge. For example, with the P pickup engaged by itself and in passive mode, I imagine it'll sound ... well, a lot like a Precision Bass!

Matthew Fisher likes this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It's a real darlin' to play, super comfortable, nice and lightweight, and the controls are fun to play with. Also, Sherwood Green Metallic is one of my favorite custom colors. I consider this a player's bass, very much a gig-and-rehearsal workhorse. Any collector value is merely icing on the cake.

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Also, I was fortunate to get it for less than these things typically go for. Timing is everything with these sorts of purchases, I find.

9. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I also was lucky to acquire what I believe is the original hard-shell case. It's narrower than a typical P/J case and has a weathered-gray look that I like.

bonz - darrell likes this.
  10. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    I think I have the same case. I always wondered if it was original to the guitar. I'll snap a picture tomorrow and post it up so we can compare.

selowitch likes this.
  11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Very cool, thank you. My suspicion is that it is indeed the OHSC, but I guess it'll be fun to find out for sure.

12. Awesome! Wonderful color, too. I've been hunting for a good deal on a not black Urge I for a while. Most are priced... exorbitantly. :^|

selowitch likes this.
  13. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Thanks! I was very fortunate. The seller and I just happened to find each other at just the right time and the bass arrived in nearly flawless condition. I'm very pleased indeed!

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Regarding the case, here is an image of one (not belonging to me) that was offered as "new-old-stock" (NOS) on Reverb not long ago. What I don't know is whether the Stu Hamm Urge Bass was offered for sale with the case or whether you had to buy it separately back when these instruments were available new. The case I have looks a lot like this but it has faded considerably.

UPDATE: The case in my possession is about 46" long, 13" wide, and 4" deep, measured on the exterior, so it might be just a standard Jazz/Precision case.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  15. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    exterior.JPG interior.JPG
    Here are exterior and interior shots of the case.

16. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
  17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Sweet. You replaced the Jazz pickups with Duncans, eh? Looks like an aftermarket bridge, too.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  18. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    There's a some stuff going on there: SD Quarter Pounders J pups, Hipshot (through body) bridge, Hipshot D-tuner, Schaller strap locks, blacked out tuner wahsers, Rotosounds. I modded this into a gigging bass. Everything is reversible, the bridge will leave some holes but they should be hidden by the original bridge.
    I don't really plan on selling it, so I made it into what I needed it to be for me...

selowitch likes this.
  19. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    You've made it your own. That's cool!

20. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    It was good as it was. I just made it into what I really wanted it to be.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021