NBD: Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 11, 2016.

1. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    It's the 'gator strap that makes the guitar though. As someone here will have to say, "What's the best strap for metal?". The answer is, "My alligator strap".

selowitch likes this.
  2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Hey, does anyone have any tips for setting up one of these basses? I was planning on affixing a capo at fret 1 and then depressing the E string at the final fret, then measuring the gap between fret 8 and the bottom of the E string and aiming for .012" of space. Does that sound like the correct approach for a 32"-scale, 24-fret instrument?

bonz - darrell likes this.
  3. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Yup. Capo at 1, depress at the fret at the edge of the body, measure at 8th fret. I forget what the gap should be, I have it written down at home. I think I use metric, .3 - .5 mm?

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just about to leave to pick up one of these myself. Got it at too good a price to resist. Black, looks very good condition but non-original case (Levy's gig bag). Will make the six hour round trip to collect it as I want to check for myself that all the electronics work correctly before parting with the readies. Been hankering to try one for many years, first time I have seen a used one come up down here in New Zealand.

5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    You won't regret it. One of the nicest basses Fender ever made, IMO.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just got back from picking it up. Everything works as it should. I just quickly checked the electronics on pick up and that the neck was straight. Thought it sounded a bit dead and action felt a bit "solid" but fine, put it down to old strings. Got home to see that I hadn't realized it has chromes flats on it! So when I pop on a new set of rounds I am expecting things to be substantially different. Not that it sounds bad with the flats, mind you...:)

selowitch likes this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The neck shouldn't be "straight" in the pure sense of the word, but ever-so-slightly concave, right?

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Absolutely correct. I have done so many setups that I just automatically/mistakenly refer to slight relief as "straight." I tend to do my setups by eye these days rather than use feeler gauges.

9. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'm not very good at doing setups and I've tried everything: feeler gauges, digital calipers, string action gauges, etc. and I never feel like I can get a correct measurement that helps inform what I do next.

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I like Chromes for many applications, but on a Stu Hamm Urge Bass I feel as though they wouldn't best take advantage of the strengths of this particular instrument.

11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I like mine dead straight with no relief and low action. I think it really depends on your touch. Heavy handed guys need more relief.

12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    If that works for you, great. I have a hard time picturing how a truly straight neck functions correctly in allowing the string to ring out, but I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, either. I have difficulty picturing mentally how a neck can be truly straight while still allowing the string to resonate correctly, unless perhaps the nut is cut very high, which would create a different set of problems.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You're right. It does work great for me!

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I totally believe you. Unfortunately for me, I have hard time comprehending how that would work without creating problems, but that's probably more a statement about my limitations than anything else.

15. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Is it possible the neck itself is straight but the micro-tilt is engaged in such a way that the necessary compensatory angle is created?

16. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes! I love, love, love this thing. It's become my main player.

17. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Congratulations, it's beautiful and looks like it's in fantastic condition.

selowitch likes this.
  18. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Thanks! It's great. So many tonal options and it just hits you in the chest with its tone.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021