NBD, Fender Ultra Jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottm, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Everybody bitched about the Elite and I love mine. Play in good health my friend.

2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    That is 1 of 2 colors that pique my interest. Your pictures affirm it.

Nice bass!!

scottm likes this.
  3. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    I’d like to
    Thanks, I really like it. It does seem less prone to fingerprint spots\issues as a typical black paint job would be. Which is nice.

-ScottM

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    You may be more of a hot passives player than you realized -- that is my tone home and why my RB850 gets the call every gig.

Btw the pedal board did great at the gig Saturday - many thanks!

scottm likes this.
  5. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Good to hear that the board worked out for you! I hope it serves you well.

-ScottM

Standalone likes this.
  6. I have an older 2014 American Deluxe Jazz 5 and I dropped the preamp in mine. The passive tone is so good, I rarely used it unless for some reason I needed the headroom. So i just got a Downtown Express which I can EQ and use as a clean boost should I need it, and still have the passive tone goodness. Beautiful looking bass. I think Fender has just sorta shot themselves in the foot with their marketing. It's good that they are marketing their new instrument lines but they are pushing a little hard on it being the greatest thing since sliced bread, and when people go try it and it doesn't meet their expectations, it results in bashing.

I like the bite the pickups have, but I'm not a fan of D shaped necks personally, and the bridge, while solid, looks cheap on an instrument thats supposed to be svelte and high end.

scottm likes this.
  7. Paula Warren

Paula Warren Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Michigan
    I just picked one up today and know exactly what your talking about

JaseOfBase, murphy and scottm like this.
  8. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Congratulations!

-ScottM

Paula Warren likes this.
  9. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    I'm dying for someone to explain to me how going back from a wheel truss rod adjustment is not a downgrade and instead an upgrade.

Jinobass1, murphy, jjk2007 and 2 others like this.
  10. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    Personally, I love the truss rod wheel but it’s not a deal-breaker for me. It’s nice if it’s there but it’s not going to stop me from buying anything that I consider a great instrument. In fact, most of my favorite guitars that I own don’t have it.

11. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Explain how the wheel truss rod adjustment is an upgrade. The wheel does not improve the function of the rod and tool is needed for both versions. I don't understand at all what the big deal is over the wheel adjuster.

Garret Graves and Adam Wright like this.
  12. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Sold a Sadowsky Metro and other basses and amps late in 2016 for health and financial reasons. At the time I bought a mim J and mim P. They sounded "ok" in the store but I struggled with their tone and and finally realized they would have to be modded drastically to become quality basses. I recently needed a good bass and went looking at different models. Fortunately in this area there are several brick and mortar locations to visit. I have been fortunate to have had some excellent basses but I always preferred the Fender J or P sound. I like the J neck and body a bit better than a P. Anyway I could not find an Elite J but I did find an Elite P and planned to purchase it. I was a day late and someone else had bought it.
    There was an Ultra J in the store and considering some of the opinions found here about the "Ultra" I was not too optimistic. Damn glad I tried it.
    Bought it. Used it at rehearsal last night. Probably the last bass I will own. If you already have an Elite congratulations. If not, and you are in the market for a undervalued J bass you will be cheating yourself not to try one. Old guy. No love for Fender as an entity but do love the tone.

13. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Good to hear, I’m glad it worked out for you.
    Even though I love the necks on my Fender Professional Precession basses, I am really enjoying the new Ultra neck on my jazz.

If you would’ve told me last week before this bass came that it would be one of my favorite bases I would have never guessed it. I love this bass to death.

-ScottM

14. Bryan Bush

Bryan Bush

Oct 29, 2017
    Cool glad to hear that! I just got a 5 sting Ultra it was ruff choosing between the Ultra and the Elite!

murphy, Paula Warren and scottm like this.
  15. Bryan Bush

Bryan Bush

Oct 29, 2017

Attached Files:

sludgetail, murphy and scottm like this.
  16. Bryan Bush

Bryan Bush

Oct 29, 2017
    My new Ultra Jazz.. man it’s still a hard choose..There are things I like about booth the Ultra and the Elite.. wish I could have booth.. right now had to choose one.

Paula Warren and scottm like this.
  17. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    The loss of the truss rod wheel I could live with, but not that huge bridge.

scottm likes this.
  18. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Man that is gorgeous!!!

-ScottM

19. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Take care, and run the snot out of that Ultra.

scottm likes this.
  20. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Thank you!

-ScottM

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021