NBD, Fender Ultra Jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottm, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bryan Bush

Bryan Bush

Oct 29, 2017
    Hey thanks! You too!

2. Bryan Bush

Bryan Bush

Oct 29, 2017
    If you’re talking bout my pic thanks Scott! Not sure how this reply’s work on here

murphy and scottm like this.
  3. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I had a couple of fivers a few years ago. One was a Fender AM Deluxe. I was not able to play that neck though. Interested in how you like the Ultra 5. I have not found one on a shelf yet to try. :hyper:

4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

I don't understand does not improve the function. What more or less does it do to straighten the truss rod? Not being nasty just curious as I have a MM 5 and it works well.

5. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking.

6. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Love the Ultra, congratulations. I have an older generation version of this bass, a 2011 USA Deluxe Jazz, and that series also got given a hard time on forums, people hated the pickups, the downsized body, the preamp etc etc, lots of criticism. At the time, I tried a whole bunch of J’s, Mex, USA, MIJ, a couple of vintage ones, and the Deluxe just sounded and played way better than the others, so that’s the one I bought, and I still play it regularly, it’s a great bass. I wish the passive tone control worked in active mode - wonder why that’s never been changed through all the generations of this line - but other than that these are awesome basses.

Jinobass1 and Paula Warren like this.
  7. Bryan Bush

Bryan Bush

Oct 29, 2017
    its very nice! The neck is very comfortable to play

scottm likes this.
  8. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Is this a Jazz-only thread? I played an Ultra P at my local shop and the neck was easily the best P neck I've ever touched.

9. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Since I only own the Ultra Jazz, is the P neck different?
    I just ordered a new Performer P since Musicians friend was able to knock it down to a grand.
    Still though, as much as I like my Ultra Jazz I would have loved to had the $$$$ for an Ultra P.
    I forgot to add that I also went for the Performer since there is no active system hoping it’s lighter weight.

-ScottM

10. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Wider at the nut and a little more robust all the way down. It's definitely slimmer than my American Standard P.

scottm likes this.
  11. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    jazz neck is to narrow at the nut for my tastes. if they made a jazz body with a p neck, i'd consider buying one.

murphy likes this.
  12. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    . I’ll buy the Ultra P , you buy the Ultra J and we’ll swap necks.

13. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I think you would love the Ultra P neck so much, you would not miss a jazz neck

14. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    Seeing all the hate about Elites and now the Ultras, i can only come to conclusion that some folks just don't really know what they want. Deluxes, Elites and then Ultras, all them are real fine instruments. Some people seems to act like "if it's good, it's bad... and if it's bad, it's bad".

15. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    If it was mine, i just got to put all the bu11sh1t behind and bash the living sh1t out of it. I'm pretty sure this Ultra will sound just great as other Fenders always did.

Jinobass1 and craig0316 like this.
  16. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Yeah they’re given an unfairly hard time for sure. It’s all down to individual taste, Fender tone and pricing isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but generally speaking these higher end Fenders are super nice, and they’re solid in terms of tone, reliability and playability. I would happily buy another Deluxe / Ultra again, I can pick up my Deluxe any time and rely on it to sound and feel good, that classic Fender J tone and feel is always there on tap, I don’t need to mess around with pedals, eq’s, preamps etc to fix anything, and the setup is super reliable, I almost never have to tweak it. Easily worth the extra cash for me.

17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I saw a guy playing a Fender Jazz Elite the other day. It sounded very good, but was way too heavy when I picked it up. I keep looking!!!!!!

I know it's cheaper for Fender to just order a ton of any old body blanks, but if Sadowsky can reduce and guarantee the weight of their Metro Express line, at 9lbs or less and sell at a lower price, then Fender is missing a trick. I know they sell thousands of basses to players who don't care about the weight, but IMO they'd sell even more if they made lighter basses.

Jinobass1 and scottm like this.
  18. pigpen1

pigpen1 Guest

Aug 2, 2017
    I played one and I think they are great.

Paula Warren and scottm like this.
  19. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    The Metro Express bass are built in very small batches making it much easier to use light wood. I'd be ok if Fenders were lighter IF they still sound like a Fender. I'm a believer in weight effects the tone. I've found that 9-10lbs is about right for me to get the tones I prefer. Additionally, I've found that basses 8.5lbs and lighter tend to hurt my left shoulder more than heavier basses because of neck dive issues pulling the instrument down and putting pressure on my shoulder. 9-10lbs basses seem to balance better and disburses the weight better. This is for Fender style instruments. I own a Sadowsky NYC 5 and two Fender Elite 5's. I and everybody I've played with has preferred the Fenders.

20. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    Yup look around,they come in different weights;
    I’ve got super light ones!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021