1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender Vintera Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michaeln, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

1. michaeln

michaeln

Mar 26, 2000
    Avery, CA
    My seafoam green Vintera Precision arrived today. As I thought, the "Deluxe" gig bag is a throwaway. The bass is set up perfectly. Good thing, because it looks like either the pickguard or the neck needs to come off if you want to adjust the truss rod (old school bridge end of the neck with a phillips head, no cutout in the pickguard to allow access). Since it doesn't need adjustment right now, no big deal.

I like that the pickguard is a pale gold rather than the bright yellow gold shown in many of the stock photos of this instrument. The pickguard looks dark in the photo, but that is an artifact of the lighting. In regular light it is pale gold, actually significantly lighter than the maple fingerboard. I like the slightly aged look of the maple. Fretwork is good.

I love the sound, at least so far. The fat neck is quite comfortable to play, and since I am not a string bender, the 7 1/2" radius feels comfortable to me.

Looking forward to putting some TI Jazz Flats on it, and those should be arriving tomorrow.
    vintera-flash.jpg

2. Congratulations, it looks great! I never get tired of P basses, myself.

3. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    St Charles Il
    Looks awesome. This exact bass is getting delivered to me tomorrow. I hope mine is as good as yours!

4. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    It looks like the queen of a 1950s beauty pageant. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

5. michaeln

michaeln

Mar 26, 2000
    Avery, CA
    Ooops I said 7 1/2" radius, but it is actually 7 1/4". Not as if I could tell the diff.

6. michaeln

michaeln

Mar 26, 2000
    Avery, CA
    Let us know after you play it. I have a feeling they will be pretty consistent from bass to bass.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You definitely picked the right color!

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    BEAUTIFUL!!
    My favorite P-bass color

T$

nixdad and michaeln like this.
  9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    No idea why Fender still makes basses this way. It would be like Ford releasing a vintage spec Mustang with manual windows and no power steering.

"Vintage-inspired" is cool, but past a certain point better ideas have come along and it's foolish to omit those ideas from new designs.

Good news is you can take it to your luthier and he can add the cutout and a body route for you for about $50. Or take a rat tail file to it.

Haroldo, MrWatts, Kyuuga and 8 others like this.
  10. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    That is absolutely beautiful! This is my favourite current model fender. Enjoy!

michaeln likes this.
  11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    You can throw away the gig bag to me since it’s useless too you...

12. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Agreed. I'm a big fan of truss rod access slots as the whole remove and re-install the neck to tweak the neck relief regimen is for the birds, IMHO. I've been known to file my own truss rod access slots when the truss rod nut sat high enough in the neck pocket to only require minor routing to be able to get at it. I've also spent $50 to have a professional luthier do it for me in other situations ... money well spent, IMHO.

semiprohooker likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks great...and looks like it's ready for some serious playing! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  14. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    Congrats! I love mine (in Vintage Blonde). I put a new set of LaBella flats on it and have done a few gigs with it. Great basses.

IMG_8555.jpg

15. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    JF344’s for the win!

16. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I routinely gouge the pickguard in my lazy trussrod adjusting way. Always have and I guess I always will.

nbsipics likes this.
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nice looking bass! Many of those older necks are very stable. The '72 neck on my '63 P-bass hasn't needed adjustment in 20 years.

18. That's true for the body wood but not easily done on the aluminium pickguard (unfortunately) ...

murphy likes this.
  19. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    St Charles Il
    I should be getting mine any minute. I noticed after ordering from GC that it immediately said expected to ship on dec 12 meaning they didn't have any in stock. I'm just hoping you didn't beat me to the punch and I'm getting sent a floor model.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  20. Awesome looking bass! Congratulations! As I was looking at your photo (closely), it appears you have trussrod access at the headstock and I do not see any type of indication that there would be access to the trussrod through the heel-end of the neck.

Rocker47, Pilgrim and Vinny_G like this.