*[email protected]! NBD Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turbo Sparky, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Today-mark it down-I went to a local music shop. No, not a box store, but a local homegrown original. The kind of shop where everyone is cordial, respectful, and not in-your-face. It's a place where any musician can find intelligent guidance and opinions regarding their instrument of choice, whether percussion, guitar, bass guitar, woodwinds, brass, or vocals etc.
    *See how this is going?*
    Ya know, just stopped in...just killin' time early in the afternoon...
    The atypical salutations were heard, a bit above average and with apparent sincerity.
    Into the bass room...
    Cool! Vintage this, modern that..holy cow that's a used Fodera for $5,500! Nice, way cool.
    Hey, that's a great color on a Fender...some sort of blue with an off-white pick guard...Oh, that's nice also..MTD...5 stringer...like butter...
    Hey man, what's this? Oh man, that's a Fender signature Precision...oh cool, PJ config...
    Wow, looks tight (all black except for frets, fingerboard and strings... Wanna try? Yeah sure, why not...
    What do you play through? Oh, GK 1001RBii and 2 212's or my Barefaced 610.. Barefaced? Yeah man, it's TIGHT. Oh cool.
    Here, try it through the GK Fusion 550 and a Neo 115 and Neo 410... Oh cool...
    whzzzz...you're on...Ok, cool, thanks...
    It's passive? Yep...
    *Start to play/noodle etc.*
    Hipshot drop? Yep...Cool.
    *40 minutes later*
    Sounds great man...Really?...Yeah, punchy and gets growly... Yep.
    {Inner monologue starts}
    Holy ****, this sounds awesome...punch...passive...only 2 knobs and a 3-way switch...dang dude...killin'...
    *Gulp*
    PJ huh? Yep...you like?
    Can I get a set-up? Of course, how you want it?
    *5 minutes later*
    How's this? SWEET!
    Mexico huh? Yep, why? Oh, just used to playing EBMMs.
    *No pictures, don't want the evidence.*
    2019, Fender Deluxe Precision (PJ) Duff signature with Seymour Duncan bridge PU...
    Fricken ROCKS! Sounds AWESOME throughGK 1001RBii!
    (Is this considered adultery or what???)
    Do I need to perform penance?
    Checked every fret, flicked/slapped the Hipshot to hell and back, punch, crisp, highs are high without bling blang, lows are crystal clear to growlin' at the moon... Passive???
    Dang, I need to brush my teeth and take a shower.
    Like I said, pictures would ruin my reputation.
    Hats off to Duff, Seymour, and the TBX...
    omg, i'm in so much trouble...great MIM Fender.
    Hangs great with a Levy strap and Dunlop straplocks…
    (I think I'm blushing...)
    A very nice instrument all the way. ...and I don't even like G-n-R... cool skull and crossbones though...
    :))

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2019
  2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    After all you put the shopman through, if you hadn't bought the bass no jury would have convicted him for popping you with a gun and then planting roses on your grave.

3. Turbo Sparky

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Ha!
    Totally. I've been there a few times before, the dude is totally laid back, and he happened to buy my old Aguilar DB751 several months ago when I traded it for some cabs. :)

Wisebass likes this.
  4. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ

5. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    "And I won't forget to put roses on your grave..." (stones)

6. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    What the heck did I just read?

cratz2, Winky, brocco and 16 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:chicken:

:D

PlatoFunFactory likes this.
  8. Turbo Sparky

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    ...an avid fan and player of EBMM Stingrays whom purchased a "dreaded" MIM Fender. Maybe I'll type slower? :)

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Awww, don't be so hard on yourself. All it means is that you are beginning to appreciate some of Leo's other children. Try a G&L next!

Kro, GHOST AT and Turbo Sparky like this.
  10. Turbo Sparky

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    1213A2ED-5560-4663-ABB9-87310D79244F.jpeg

11. Turbo Sparky

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    ...there was one or two of those there also. They have a 14 day return policy LOL! Yep, totally surprised. She's a passive, two knobs and a 3-way switch...can hardly believe it.

12. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    yep, hard read...

Trouztrouz and bordinco90 like this.
  13. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Not sure why you would "dread" a P-bass.

Are you sure that's not a bass made for drummers? The 12 on the 12th fret inlay makes me think it's for people who have a hard time counting past 4. :roflmao:

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    So, you feel for an older design. Happens sometimes, but a lot of guys go the other way when they get older.

15. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I was in my local store, seriously tempted by a MIM p bass, and I’m Not a P neck guy. Bought a guitar stand and strings instead

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Spidey2112 and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  16. I saw an interview with Duff promoting his new signature bass and saying something along the lines of the "12" inlay being a nod to his beloved Seattle Seahawks (12th man, ie. the fans). The interviewer pointed out it's also the 12th fret on the bass and Duff looked a little sheepish :roflmao:

HeavyJazz likes this.
  17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Cool bass. Don't see a skull and crossbones, though - is it on the back?

The 12 is a little weird. But just think how confusing it would be if they had put it on the fifth fret inlay.

18. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    LOL

One of these days I need to join a country band, get famous enough to have a signature bass, and have it be a P-bass with a giant dragon inlay from frets 6-22.

Don't go above the 5th fret. There be dragons. Like two people on TB would get the joke if they saw the bass, but I don't care. ;)

19. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    i think this one has a jazz neck...

diegom and Cardsfan_69 like this.
  20. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    There are several incarnations of the Duff signature right? The new one has a 1.625” nut, which is the J spec I really care about. My point was trying to relate to OP in being tempted by a bass outside of my comfort zone. :)

bench likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022