NBD -- Finally a Fender!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeremy Crockett, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

I returned to playing bass last year in August. At the time, I picked up the Squier PJ Affinity pack on Amazon. For what I spent, it was a very good bass. The finish was the best thing about it, it was beautiful.

Earlier this year a did a trade with a guy, he had a Squier CV 70s that I gave up a SRBMM for. This was an even more impressive instrument in terms of sound and build quality.

I want to be clear that I do NOT think "Squiers suck" or anything remotely close to it. But, I have been jonesing for a real Fender.

Today an opportunity for a trade came that I did not want to resist. So I swapped a Blues Deluxe RI and a Gretsch G2622 for this Fender Vintera 70s Jazz.

FJ_Full01.jpg FJ_Body01.jpg FJ_BodyBack.jpg FJ_HS_01.jpg FJ_HS_02.jpg FJ_HSRear03.jpg FJ_Neck01.jpg

He had added the ashtray and pickup cover, which is fine with me I like that look although it's completely impractical when I try and play, so off they came. And he put a different neck plate on it. Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

The Burst paint job is beautiful, I don't think that the pictures do it enough justice.

I am a very happy guy, indeed. I haven't had a genuine Fender since about 1998. What a pleasure this Jazz is!

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. DCGuy

DCGuy

Apr 12, 2016
    Washington DC, USA
    Love it. Let us know how she sounds.

rodl2005 and Jeremy Crockett like this.
  3. Jeremy Crockett

One thing is for sure, I am changing the annoyingly dead-sounding coated strings.

Geri O likes this.
  4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Nice looking bass, try it with a pick before you take them off, classic tone.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Terrific traditional look. Congrats. Hope it works well.

Jeremy Crockett likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Black nylon I believe. Keep it.
    Try rotosound roundwound, my friend love it and sound great with his mij GL 70s jazz .

7. Jeremy Crockett

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Swipter, 96tbird, Mariachi507 and 3 others like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    FRoss6788 likes this.
  9. Jeremy Crockett

Ok, I have swapped out the strings which was a definite improvement. However, there is an incredible amount of buzz coming off this thing when I am not touching the strings. I have ordered some copper tape with conductive adhesive to (hopefully) improve the shielding. Additionally, I played the Fender side-by-side with my Squier CV 70s and the Squier is a lot louder. I am thinking that is due to the QPs in the Squier.

I did try the coated strings with a pick and was not overly impressed.

Unfortunately, she's not quite "roaring" yet.

10. Thummel

Thummel

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    That’s a beauty! Ya, the tape strings are not very lively. Check the pickup height, that might help the output. Great score.

11. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    It's very possible that's what's going on. 70s style J's were a touch lower output compared to, say, the 60s stuff. It's part of the reason the slap guys love those basses; the lower output means higher highs and lower lows, not as robust a midrange.

I've got a 70s Squier CV, and it's also a bit low on the output. I mean, as long as the amp has room to get louder, I don't see the lower signal as any sort of real problem.

12. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Congrats on your new Fender! The 70s Vintera Jazz is probably my lowest output bass, volume wise. It's got good tone, but not nearly as lively or loud as my Vintage Modified 70s Jazz that is completely stock as well. Pickup height is set the same on both. Even when I raised them up very close to the strings it couldn't match the output of the VM J. The Vintera is a gorgeous, well built bass, albeit with a very "polite" output level and tonality. "Roar" isn't how I would describe it though (mine's strung with nickel rounds).

13. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    QPs do have quite a hot output - that's part of what gives them their particular character - so anything else is definitely going to seem quieter. That's what the gain control on amps is for though ;)

14. Congratulations!

Just curious: why does it have a 'Made in Mexico' headstock and a 'Corona, California' neckplate?

jamro217 likes this.
  15. Jeremy Crockett

The amp has tons of room. It's currently on 2.5. Lower output I can deal with, I am more vexed with the buzz. Hopefully, shielding will take care of that.

sloppy_phil likes this.
  16. Jeremy Crockett

Apparently the previous owner thought that would be a good idea. The ashtray and pickup cover are not stock either.

17. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    my OCD would want the big "F" neck plate. Can be had cheap, maybe something to consider :)

more period correct and gets rid of the MX/UDA contradictions.

very nice!

18. Jeremy Crockett

Thank you. You talked me into it. I did not like the Mexi-Cali confusion myself.

19. charlie ford

charlie ford

Dec 30, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass!

20. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    Does the buzz go away when both pickups are on full, where both pickups are hum-cancelling?

Single coils will pretty much always make some amount of noise when soloed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021