NBD-Finally Found a Spirit!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skwee, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Had a musical coaching gig today south of town, and had some free time. Did a "guitar store near me" search, paid a visit--lo and behold, a Spirit by Steinberger in a great shape!

My cool level at home just went up a notch at home--spouse loves it!

Now, I need to track down a way to date the instrument. Just curious about its journey.

IMG_4303.JPG

2. Look for a serial number under the flip-down leg support on the bottom of the body. Pretty sure the first two numbers are the year. I'll have to dig mine out and have a look to confirm that.

3. I see yours has the preferred EMG pickups too. Nice find.

skwee likes this.
  4. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I've been keeping my eye out for one locally...no luck. Congrats on yours.

skwee likes this.
  5. Gibson appears to be making them again, Sweetwater has been advertising them anyway.

6. Congratulations. Always good to hear when someone's search ends.

Low84 and skwee like this.
  7. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Serial starts with 40, so guessing that isn't the year!

8. Hmmm... the serial number on mine is 140721xxxx, a 10 digit number. You sure you're not overlooking a rubbed out 1 there? I know mine is a 2014 cause that's when I bought it new. Yours may be older than mine, serial number sequence may be different?

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Mine's just a six-digit number. Opened up the back panel, didn't see any info that would help me identify year of manufacture.

10. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Thanks! I played one not too long ago in a local shop, but talked myself out of buying it, since I'm very pleased with my Fender. But I got home and mentioned it to my wife--she was like: "THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO COOL". Sent me back to get it the next day and they had sold it. So, I'd been jonesing ever since.

mikewalker likes this.
  11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Complete speculation, but might be fairly old. The fretboard seems to be synthetic or painted. Not a natural-seeming surface.

12. Yeah it's definitely older then. Post a question over in the Steinberger Club thread, someone over there will be able to date it for you.

13. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Wait, you don't think it was built in 1940 or you don't think someone brought one back from the year 2040 & dropped it in the present? ;)

Lance Bunyon and skwee like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Congratulations!

I always had a slightly uneasy feeling for some reason whenever I played headless basses. I guess a headstock is visual reference or security blanket for me or something.

That said, Spector basses sound awesome and play like a dream. Enjoy your lucky find! :thumbsup:

skwee likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

love that black bass! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

skwee likes this.
  16. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Your wife ENCOURAGED you to buy that?!? My wife hates my headless basses.

If you figure out how to date it, I’d love to know. I’m considering picking up a used on, but I’d like to know how old it is, mainly because I want to avoid the newer poplar ones if possible.

Enjoy your new toy!

17. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Well, apparently there is NO consistency in the serial numbers on these. I just bought one online (should arrive early next week :) ) , and the seller said that the serial number under the legrest is only four digits, and that it starts with 13. Weird!

18. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I asked about this on SteinbergerWorld, and someone provided this link. I’m not sure if it works yet, because I haven’t received my bass yet, but it’s worth a shot skwee.

Thread

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2018
  19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Central Texas
    What’s the naughty word? PM me, and I’ll try to fix your link.

20. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    it's "guitar dater" so the censoring is t-a-r-d.

HeavyDuty likes this.