1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Finally got a 5'er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman474, Jul 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bassman474

Bassman474

Sep 1, 2010
    Ohio
    So I've actually had my ESP LTD B-5E it for a few weeks now, but never got around to making a thread for it. In short, wow, this thing is great. I've always been a 4 string player who preferred bolt on necks and passive pickups, I had a cheap 5 string years ago but just couldn't get into it, and my SX Jazz 6 is fun, but the neck is way too large to play regularly. So when the need arose for a low B, I knew I had to find the perfect match. I decided I wanted something a little different; a pretty top, humbuckers/active electronics, and a through or at least set neck. After figuring out my budget I narrowed it down to a few options. I was originally leaning towards an Ibanez, I've always loved the necks on their SR series, but the higher end SRs still had bolt on necks, and I wasn't a huge fan of the plain ash/mahogany look of the sr600 and sr500. Now I've always liked a harder fingerboard, namely maple, so when I saw the BTB675MNTF in the top side of my budget, I thought I had found the one. Luckily a semi-nearby GC had one in stock and I got a chance to play it, great bass! Not for me though, the 35' neck was way to long and wide for my tastes. Fortunetely I had already begun looking into the LTD options, despite never being interested in their products before. After finding a good deal of praise for the B series, and it meeting all of my criteria at a good price, I pulled the trigger sight unseen (trusting in gc's return policy). A return was far from necessary however, since this bass was a winner right out of the box. Decent strings/setup, amazingly comfortable neck profile, and a solid array of tones. After putting on some new strings and tweaking the neck a little, it was easily one of the most comfortable 5 strings I've ever gotten my hands on! The ebony fingerboard feels as good as any hard maple I've encountered, and the matching top is beautiful. I will admit that while the electronics are certainly gig worth, they aren't anything to write home about. I've been toying with the idea of replacing the electronics with bartolini's in the future, but for now it gets the job done. Lots of lows and crystal clear high end, but the sound is a little sterile and bland at times. Overall, excellent playing bass for the cost (especially if you have a friend at the local guitar center ;)) and I highly recommend one to anyone seeking a gig worthy 5'er! :bassist:

The pics are far from professional grade but they're all I have at the moment

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Aaron Mc, bholder, Goatrope and 3 others like this.
  2. Congrats,absolutely beautiful!

3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Welcome to the five-string world! Beautiful bass, enjoy.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021