1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: (finally!!): My surf green Bluesman Vintage Deville 2T is now complete

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Jun 19, 2020.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    If anyone has been following this, I first posted about ordering a custom Bluesman Vintage bass back in early December, 2019. I heard the bass on a concert video and couldn't get over the sound. So I contacted Bluesman Vintage to get specs and info. I was told it would take roughly 2-3 months to complete (late-Feb/early-March). So, with a holiday promotional discount and only 10% down, I had plenty of time to figure out the money and get this bad boy in my hands.

In late-March, I got a photo of the bass in process. It was looking good. And since the shop lobby was now closed due to the quarantine, I was told the rest would go very quickly.

Late April, I received the finished bass. It was beautiful. However, there were a couple of problems. When we spec'd the bass, we had discussed a slim-C neck and a weight reduced body (target weight: 8lb). The bass I received had a baseball bat style neck (thick D-shape?) and weighed in at 10lb 1oz (yikes!!). So I figured I'd just sell it, hopefully getting my money out of it and just chalk it up to a bad experience. But after giving it some serious thought, I contacted Bluesman Vintage and shared the issues.

To my surprise they told me to send it back and they'd recut the body and reshape the neck. And the good news was, the owner was going to expedite it so it would only take a couple of weeks.

Fast forward to today and my new bass has finally arrived. It's a surf green Bluesman Vintage Deville 2T. It's perfect. The neck is slim & fast and it weighs in at exactly 8lb. The color and relic look great. It feels really good in-hand. I'm very pleased and hoping this will be a special bass.

Granted, the whole thing took longer than I had hoped. I think they need to work on not overpromising, with regard to time tables. Thankfully, I had a chance to discuss this with the owner and the conversation was productive. Really nice guy and good bass builder. I'd buy from BMV again (in fact, I did buy from them again. He's building me a telecaster with a Bigsby tremolo as we speak!).
    ----------------
    Update:
    I got the bass home this evening. First thing I did was swap out the strings for TI flats. I gave the truss rod about 1/2 turn to get most of the relief out of the neck and started playing.

One word: Amazing. Zero fret buzz up & down the neck. I measured the string height at the 12th fret. From the top of the fret to the bottom of the string was about 1mm. Crazy low.

I texted John Scott at BMV asking if they Plek their guitars and basses. Turns out they use the Erlewine Neck Jig. And it works! I am soooo pleased with this bass!

IMG_9007.JPG IMG_9008.JPG IMG_9009.JPG

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    It looks killer, glad you're happy and congrats!

tb-player likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Great basses. Cool color.

tb-player likes this.
  4. That is a fine-lookin' bass! I would gig the heck outa that.

tb-player likes this.
  5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    That is most definitely the plan. :thumbsup:

6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Good to hear of such great customer service.

SJan3 and tb-player like this.
  7. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    That is a sweet bass. Congrats.

tb-player likes this.
  8. mdogs

mdogs Suspended Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Very cool!!! That is the exact bass I have been thinking about, color and all!!

9. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    If you ever order one, tell him Jeff from Maryland sent you. He’ll take care of you for sure.

mdogs likes this.
  10. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    45qf59.jpg

11. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
  12. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Update:
    I got the bass home this evening. First thing I did was swap out the strings for TI flats. I gave the truss rod about 1/2 turn to get most of the relief out of the neck and started playing.

One word: Amazing. Zero fret buzz up & down the neck. I measured the string height at the 12th fret. From the top of the fret to the bottom of the string was about 1mm. Crazy low.

I texted John Scott at BMV asking if they Plek their guitars and basses. Turns out they use the Erlewine Neck Jig. And it works! I am soooo pleased with this bass!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Tigger#76 and SJan3 like this.
  13. Love it! Sexy as Hell.

tb-player likes this.
  14. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Enjoy, it's a beauty!!

tb-player likes this.
  15. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Looks killer. TI flats are a joy to play.

Sands and tb-player like this.
  16. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Yeah. I just bought my first sets... one for a fretless and one for this bass. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I instantly liked them. Great strings!

Sands and TheDirtyLowDown like this.
  17. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Fantastic strings that last forever. I use them frequently on my Moollon P Classic IV...which coincidentally is Surf Green :thumbsup:

tb-player likes this.
  18. DeepHz

DeepHz Gold Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Clifton Park NY
    Love the Bass AND the "Rig"!

tb-player likes this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think that looks really good.
    I just find the white pickguard a little meh and go without or something else.
    Not because it doesn't look good, but because it's just not very interesting to me.

tb-player likes this.
  20. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    A2A91CE1-096B-4EA3-B19E-9CFFE8F44C6B.gif

Man that is awesome, congrats. I had a couple of Lulls with those type pups and they were fantastic. Perfect specs.

MCF, tminus10 and tb-player like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021