1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Finished up my J Bass parts build today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Magthegrate, May 4, 2018.

1. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty jazzed (ha!) about how this turned out. It's my 2nd build and my 5th bass.

It consists of:
    Warmoth swamp ash J Bass body (finished by me with ColorTone liquid stains and wipe-on gloss poly)
    Warmoth maple neck with an ebony fingerboard (finished by them in satin nitro)
    Audere Pro JZ6D preamp
    Nordstrand Big J-Blade pickups
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    Hipshot A style bridge
    Hipshot 3 String Retainer
    Hipshot O-ring knobs (I had to drill them out a bit to make them fit on the Audere)
    EB Super Slinky Cobalt strings
    All of the cavities are shielded with copper tape.

I think the only thing that I'd change about it is that I wish the truss rod adjustment was at the headstock instead of under the pickguard.

Now I guess I don't really have an excuse for not working on the kitchen remodeling that the wife has been pestering me about. I think that she's under the impression that building a bass isn't as important as not having a construction zone for a kitchen.

20180504_145755.jpg 20180504_145935.jpg

2. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    It's really nice looking. How much was the build if you don't mind me asking?

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Wow, that looks sharp!
    Congrats!

4. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I guess that's safe to answer, since my wife won't check this forum! I have about $1150 into it. I didn't look for cheap options. I made a wish list and then filled it.

canuckshort likes this.
  5. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    That is totally reasonable for having everything you want in a bass I think.

Magthegrate likes this.
  6. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Nice looking bass! I usually don't like mother of toilet seat PG's (can you tell?), but on that it just fits.

Magthegrate likes this.
  7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Looks great!

8. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    love the finish!

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

beautiful ax and nicely done! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Great labor of love.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021