1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fireglo Ric 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anthony Barrett, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,
    I traded one of my P's last week for a JetGlo 4003. Love it so much I bought a Fireglo from MF this week to use as my second bass for gigs. Have to say, MF were great to deal with, gave me a fantastic price and the bass arrived superbly packaged.

The finish is beautiful and the sustain is awesome. I am really happy with this but there are two things I have a question about - I wonder if the Ric guys on here can help as I am still pretty new to this bass...

1. The string spacing. On my JetGlo, the strings run perfectly through the middle of my bridge (I'm not referring to the saddles / saddle grooves, but the actual slots in the bridge itself). On my new 4003, the strings run off-center (to the right) across all strings. Secondly, the EA string allen wrench screw that adjusts the string height is set so the EA side of the floating bridge piece is higher than the DG side.

The action is comparable to my JetGlo, it plays great and sounds / feels awesome. I am just a bit ignorant of Rics and wondered if what I describe in terms of the string spacing is adjustible or indicative of a bridge that could be slighty out of alignment? Again, totallly ignorant with Rics, so sorry if a stupid question. Thx!

2. Not sure I can believe you actually have this bass without photographic proof.

3. In work - will post tonight. She's a beauty.

4. Actually I think I am being a bit of a muppet with my question on the strings. Just studied a bunch of 4003 pics on the web and this looks to be pretty normal. So, I'll post pics up later and keep my Ric naivety to myself from here on in!

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Congrats on your new Rickenbacker!

I took deliver of a Fireglo 4003 from MF last week and have been loving it so far.

Both of the things you describe seem to be pretty normal, with Rickenbackers anyway.

The string allignment "issue" is considered just cosmetic by Rickenbacker. It won't hurt your tone.

My bridge was set the same way from the factory. It too was set up great out of the box so I think it's pretty normal. It makes sense to have it up higher a bit for the thicker strings anyway.

Enjoy your new Rick!

6. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    +1

8. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    No Pic = NO Bass! ;)

9. The bridge may need a slight adjustment. In a perfect world, basses come out of the factory perfectly set up to your unique taste and needs. In the real world, we sometimes have to take a hex adjustment tool to the bridge and center strings. It should be fine.

Wow, two Rics in two weeks? You are smitten!

Great bass, glad you're enjoying them, congrats.

10. Thanks for the feedback bro.

11. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    Like most threads, I only came here for pics

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Bass players don't read ... we just look at the pictures.

13. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    No problem!
    Joey's site is pretty much essential for any new Rick enthusiast, I wish it had been around when I got my first one!

By the way, no new Rick will come set up to your liking unless you buy from certain top dealers who offer the service to their clients.

It's intentionally set medium-high from the factory so that there's lots of room for changes to suit personal preference.

It took a couple of weeks of minor tweaks with some time to settle and be sure of what I wanted to get mine where I like it.

14. Again, thanks. This is why this forum is so cool. Will sort pics ASAP.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats, (I assume, without pics) on both your new Ric's. When you get a chance, you should check out the 4004's. I love mine so much, my 4003's have taken a (far) backseat.

16. I got my first ric at the blowout in august , then i got a mapleglo and sold the blowout bass , then got another older mapleglo i then sold as well , they are very addicting basses.

Did your new one from MF have any tail lift? it seems alot of the MID blowouts did , the 2 i had measure about .6mm of lift , the mapleglo i got made in october 2011 has no lift and is alot nicer in fit/finish

17. I don't have any tail lift... Yet. I say "yet"' as when I read the various Rickenbacker forums, a lot seem to develop this. I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to be a common development. Great, great basses though.