1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - First ever Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NathanDetroit, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NathanDetroit

NathanDetroit

Oct 15, 2016
    I've been playing bass for twenty years now, but I haven't experienced a NBD since about... 2004 maybe? I can't even remember, it's been so long. Since then I've been rocking a German bolt-on Thumb bass exclusively and the GAS has been slowly building. After checking CL and the classifieds here twice a day and telling myself I really didn't need a new bass so why was I even looking, I stumbled upon this fella for a reasonable price, so I bought it:
    ebc182e6-95df-441e-81f1-6958baef7c55.
    ee19e20b-78af-4b6f-a733-311fe029a00a.
    While I've owned a couple jazz basses over the years, this is both my first fretless and my first Fender. Based on the serial number it appears to be a 1997/1998, but that's about all I know about it. Assuming it hasn't been modified over the years, can anyone here tell me anything about it? The guy I bought it from only had it a couple weeks and he didn't seem to knowledgeable.
    22ec16cb-ce25-484f-b226-49db70f8170b.

2. It appears to be a 97 MIM Jazz bass, or at least the neck is. I'm assuming the body is, as well. The bridge is different, but overall it looks like a nice bass. I have an MIM Jazz of my own sitting right next to me. Enjoy!

Edit- can't see what it says on the neckplate. That part is different. Looks like maybe it says "patent pending" under the Fender logo.

3. NathanDetroit

NathanDetroit

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks for the info PWRL. The neckplate just says "Fender Corona California". Do you think the bridge was swapped at some point?

murphy likes this.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Nice Jazz, congrats!

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congratulations on your new instrument, enjoy! :thumbsup:

6. NathanDetroit

NathanDetroit

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    bridge I think is from a Squier model....neck plate is a switched one taken from a US Fender...body may or may not be a vintage modified squier model

If price was right...plays great , sounds good and you love it.....Great bass....Congrats

8. NathanDetroit

NathanDetroit

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks for the info, murphy, I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

murphy likes this.
  9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    lg_0301078502v1_hi.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had a Mexican Fender Jazz in lake placid blue that was about a 1996-8 model....but the bridge was not like yours and the Mexican pickup covers of that era had a different...more square shape and not interchangeable with US size pickups

11. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Classic Vibe body, Fender USA neck plate, MIM neck,added bridge cover and white pearl PG.

PWRL likes this.
  12. Yes. Actually, Unicorn Bass is correct. Good bass, tho. Enjoy it.

13. GuilhermeBMotta

GuilhermeBMotta

Jan 2, 2017
    Nice flats!

14. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Same bridge as my squier Matt Freeman P

15. Glad you finally made it to the light !!

16. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    ^ 100% what he said. Enjoy!

17. Oh mah gawddddddd that colour looks beautiful! For some reason, the big dent on the bottom looks so fitting!

18. NathanDetroit

NathanDetroit

Oct 15, 2016
    So much good info in here! Thanks everybody for your help and comments! :thumbsup: