NBD - First ever impulse buy... and it's a steal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felken, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Being a college student, having basic necessities can be quite the daunting task. So buying a new bass guitar when I don't need it is at the bottom of my fanancial list.

Yet somehow, I ended up with an 800$ bass for only 150 bucks.

My dad texted me at work yesterday morning and told me a local music shop nearby was closing down. The owner is retiring, so it's a huge clearance sale. I went in there with the intention of MAYBE buying pack of strings if I could get it for 10-15 bucks.

To my surprise, all guitars or basses were either 100$ or 200$. I bought myself a 6 string, neck-through, maple body Baron bass retailed at 800$. It was selling at 200$, but the guy lowered it down to 150 with a bag included.

Enough chatter! On with the pics!

P.S. If anyone could identify the model, that would be hugely appreciated. A15AC642-7AC9-4EB8-8CDC-C8511C6958E5.jpeg 3B53F039-C29A-4B22-BAFF-277B40BB668C.jpeg 292B4909-D801-45DA-90DE-18C4C2109ED3.jpeg 004BA7A5-5E46-4F39-B7F5-6762D1C9B84A.jpeg FA63283B-95DC-4834-B52C-CCB073C51577.jpeg C40BF294-83B7-4AEE-A6EC-8AE57DBA84D6.jpeg

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not familiar with the brand but for that price you done did good!!!!!

drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

Felken, UNICORN BASS and Bass Man Dan like this.
  3. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Neck through and string through! Sweet!

pappabass and Felken like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Found this for your reference

Bass Instrument

Baron appears to be a brand from 'Intercontinental Music' in Canada

Baron guitars Canada

[​IMG]

Baron is one of three guitar house brands of a discount music store called Intercontinental Music ltd. (The other in-house guitar brands are Intex and TCM.) Intercontinental Music is located in the city of Ottawa, Ontario, in Canada.

This isn't quite the same as yours as it has chrome hardware and the knobs are arranged differently. Could be just a model year variation perhaps?

Baron Electric Bass 2

[​IMG]

No. SFB640C

Reviews: 0
    Construction: Neck-Thru-Body

Body: Ash

Neck: Canadian Maple with Mahogany stripe

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Frets: 24

Scale: 864mm

Pickups: H-H Ceramic

Controls: 1V, 3T, 1 balance, Preamp Circuit

Hardware: Chrome

Finish: Satin

SKU: SFB640C

5. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    That's a steal for sure! I just impulsively bought an Ibanez tmb105 yesterday

6. B-Mac

By the way...thanks for the G.A.S.!drooldrool
    At this price I actually emailed the store to see about shipping me a bass to Pennsylvania!

:hyper:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Kudos to your dad. I would have bought one without thinking twice, too. Can't go wrong at that price point!

8. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Thanks. I did a bit of reasesrch yesterday and found out about that. That music store is quite the mystery. Apparently the owner is a sadistic jerk who likes to kick out his clients if they don’t buy (Check out any reviews for that music store, the guy is apparently some sort of legend in the music store world.)

Despite that, I’ve had no problems with the bass so far. Only critisism is that some of the frets are quite rough around the edges. Besides that, it sounds and feels like a well put together bass.

B-Mac likes this.
  9. B-Mac

For that price a file job on the frets isn’t too big a deal.

I emailed them about shipping a 6 string like yours but apparently they are gone and only have the 4 & 5 string versions

Thats a nice bass neck thru & string thru can’t beat it

Felken likes this.
  10. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    After reading some reviews for that music store, I’d recommend avoiding spending money over there. (Go check out the reviews, they are something)

Despite Baron guitars supposedly being a cheap brand, the bass I have feels and plays pretty well. It sounds and feels like a 500-600$ bass. Only thing is that sone of the frets in thr upper part of the neck are a little rough. Personally, I don’t really mind.

I am considering maybe selling it. You can PM me if you’d be interested. The bass isn’t bad, far from it. It’s just that personally, I don’t NEED it. It’d be willing to make you a good price.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    That’s true. I’m pleasantly surprised for the price point.

I actually bought the last model that was in store. I’m actually considering maybe selling it. I explain why in my other post. Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

B-Mac likes this.
  12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass! Rock it hard! :bassist:

Felken likes this.
  13. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Cool find! Love the wood and neck thru. Tell people that baron is Fodera's 2nd line.

14. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That kinda thing is common if not expected for these kind of instruments. As long as the neck is functional it looks like a great platform for modding. I'd have taken the shot at that price. Congrats :thumbsup:

B-Mac likes this.
  15. basslicks

basslicks Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Kentucky
    It’s amazing how much bass you can get these days for such a good price! Back when I was a kid it was either complete trash or you’re spending $600 minimum. Killer find!

B-Mac likes this.