1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - First Fender P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mattrill, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    Hey TB,

Would like to share with you my first P bass. Saw it advertised on eBay last night and it was in my local town. I've been wanting a P bass since forever so this seemed like fate!

It's an 2004/5 American Standard Black on Black with Maple neck and it is toasting!

It's got brand new Roto rounds on, which feel weird when you're used to playing with flats - zinging and clear as crystals, lovely tone and sound great when playing on your own but I'm a flats kinda guy.

Now when it come to flats I normally recommend GHS Precision Flats as my first choice of string but as they are on my Jazz i'm feeling tempted to go towards a set of LaBella's. I have a heavy gauge set but the tension was too high for my liking. The tension on my Jazz with 45/105 GHS P flats is perfect, so any set around that tension would be great. Any recommendations?

So happy with the purchase and cannot wait to take it to practise tomorrow night. And even more exited to get some flats on. Hopefully by tomorrow I will realise why this bass has been the industry standard for so long. Dying to know what it sounds like in the mix!

Attached: Picture of the bass. The 3 maple Musketeers:facepalm::D (yes i like maple necksdrool). And I picture of my cat in my new basses case because why not! :roflmao::cool:.

Attached Files:

2. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    You are going to like that bass.

Mattrill likes this.
  3. Congrats & welcome to the family.

I run Labella Deep Talkin Flats (760FL) on my P bass. It's a good tension and I'm happy with the sound.

Mattrill likes this.
  4. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Man, I LOVE a black on black P with a maple board--it just screams "rock and roll".

I second the LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats recommendation for a pbass. It's just classic. In my case I've landed on the FS set (45-105) after years of using the FM's(49-109). Not too much tension--you can still bend your strings;) but still "feels" like thump (as well as giving you the sonic thump).

I will say though, that a P with Roto rounds on is (to me) the "other" classic pbass sound! Maybe run it that way for a little while. Bring some foam to stuff under the strings when you wanna get thumpy.

Either way, that P is gonna sit nice and tidy in the mix--Congrats on that bass!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Tbone76 and Mattrill like this.
  5. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Uh---yea, that is the stuff right there. Classic, iconic p-Bass. Congratulations.

Mattrill likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Black/black/maple....the best color scheme for a Precision ever!

Mattrill likes this.
  7. Congrats!
    Rotos on a P make a great agressive rock sound.
    La Bells are great for classic rock, blues & Motown.
    You may decide you need a second P
    to have both worlds.

pbass2 likes this.