NBD (for my 9yo son! w/pics): Douglas Violin Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    My son started playing viola then switching to upright bass this year in his 4th grade orchestra. Smart kid, knows where it's at. ;) I had bought him an Ibanez Mikro bass a couple of years ago, but it doesn't really speak to him. He really likes my fretless Carvin LB75, but the long scale is too big for him. I came across this Douglas Violin fretless in the TB classifieds and got a great deal from a great seller!

He loves his new bass. Plenty of vintage thump and fretless vibe and style, which he really seems to like at the ripe old age of only 9 years old! Between this and his 1/4 size upright, he is having a blast learning how to play. I hope they will eventually let him use this Violin bass in school one day. I think it would be really cool.

Joey playing violin bass 2 small.jpg Douglas Violin Bass small.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Mastermold, zontar, soulstew and 69 others like this.
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm having a blast playing this thing after I sent him off to bed and finally made him put it down. I'm laying down some great thumpy basslines with this thing. Being used to roundwounds on a Jazz Bass for most of my life, this is a refreshing change. You could say that "I get it" now...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I bought a Douglas for my son when he was about 9, great bass for the money! Glad your son likes it.

soulstew and Tony G like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! the bass looks great and so does he playing it! please tell him "congratulations on your new instrument!" from and old guy on TB. :thumbsup:

soulstew, Pdaddy1978, zon6c-f and 2 others like this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Cool story. Since it's priceless, keep this relationship going.:)

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congrats - looks like he's having fun playing that bass. Hey, why did you play it - I thought it was HIS bass??;)

jd56hawk, soulstew, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  7. He must be good playing on a fretless bass at that age!

soulstew, craig0316, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Tony :), That' s great :thumbsup:

:D by the time they let him go electric (in a few months), he will take your Carvin! :laugh:

Kids are growing sooooo fast..... :hyper::hyper::hyper:

have a good time with your son!!!

Wise(b)ass

soulstew, jamro217, zon6c-f and 2 others like this.
  9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I wouldn't go that far, but he is used to playing the viola and upright for his school orchestra (at a 4th grade level), and seems to prefer the look and feel of a fretless fingerboard.

soulstew and jamro217 like this.
  10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think it will be in more than a few months...;)

But thanks...he seems to have really taken an interest!

soulstew, jamro217 and Wisebass like this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Dang, I play a lined fretless and I'm much older than 9. lines are like training wheels. lol

soulstew, jamro217 and Tony G like this.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Well, he still has a lot of work to do on his intonation, but he seems most comfortable on a blank plank! :D

soulstew likes this.
  13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I had one just like it and sold it through TB maybe 7 years ago... wonder if this was that same bass?
    I liked it a lot, thought it was well worth the rondomusic new price, but let it go to fund another purchase.
    Fun to think about since he would have only been about 2 years old when I let it go!

14. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Hey, I know that bass!

So glad it's getting some use, instead of sitting all alone in the corner of my workshop. When gas (and a bass purchase) struck I almost didn't throw this one up for sale because it's so fun to play, but I'm glad I did because this is such a great thread.

@Tony G , you are a great dad, and I hope you both enjoy it for years to come!

soulstew, RyanJD, jamro217 and 4 others like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good looking kid. Good looking bass.

Big proud moment, I'm sure.

soulstew, RyanJD, jamro217 and 3 others like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good job, Dad!

soulstew, craig0316, ERIC31 and 4 others like this.
  17. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    If he's already been schooled on a viola his intonation should be great. :thumbsup:

18. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

How does the sound hold up next to an actual upright? I have a pretty white fretted Douglas viola I use as a piccolo, but me and some friends have been getting into jazz lately and I’ve been jonesing for an upright sound.

--^@

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Haha, thanks man. I really appreciate everything!

Thanks, yeah...it brought a smile to my face watching him light up while playing it.

He is in 4th grade this year, so this is his first year of orchestra. He was playing the Viola since October(?), but switched to the upright bass a couple of weeks ago after deciding playing with my basses was more fun. He was getting the hang of the viola, but really seems to enjoy playing the bass more, and you can see it when he does.

It really doesn't sound too much like an upright to me, but I'm picky that way. It is beautifully thumpy with the LaBella light tension flats that are on it, however. Really just sounds like a thumpy vintage violin bass to me, which is just cool in its own way.

20. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Go Dad! And especially go son! That’s awesome to see.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021