1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD for real!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Mar 29, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Just got this beautiful 1983 Ibanez MC824DS in playing shape. I replaced the damaged original tuners with some HipShot Ultra Lites and put on a set of DR Fat Beams and tuned her up. Killer funky growl tone with tons of midrange bite. This baby's going to practice tomorrow. Thanks to all the TB'ers who helped identify this bass and provided valuable information. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364610982.182511. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364611027.149151.

2. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    More pics ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364611086.952920. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364611161.128717.

3. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Groovy!

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Looks great, Congrats!

5. grunz7

grunz7

Nov 14, 2008
    Very cool - I had one in the early 90 - and had the frets removed, changed the pickup to a bartolini and changed the bridge to a schaller ... it became a monster fretless with a deep growly funky to low woody bass ... unfortunately I sold it prior to digital cameras, so only pictures.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Great looking bass. Congratulations !

7. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    What did the bart do to the tone? I did notice something strange on the volume pot. It gets a little noisey right in the middle but is dead quiet everywhere else. Wondered if this is inheirent in the wiring or if the pot has some junk in it. I ran some electronic lube in the pots and switch and this did not change the slight noise in the pot.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Great! Congrats on this one! Enjoy it :hyper:

9. Man i have been wanting a cool Musician for a while now! I hadn't seen a single pickup one, I want one of those :hyper:

10. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Nice. I played one for the first time last year and immediately fell in love with it.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very nice. Love that style.

12. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Played it today while we auditioned a new guitar player. All I can say is...WOW! I have all the deep, burpy tone of a P Bass with all of the growl of a J...AWESOME bass!

13. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Congrats on the bass!

Nice to hear that she killed in practice, I guess she's approved for giggin' then.

Happy grooving!

14. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I've never played one of these, but I've owned an Aria of the same vintag with the same neck/body construction and pickup in the same place (MM location). The Aria's tone was exactly how you describe the Ibanez, and I loved the tone but hated the neck. What is neck like on your Ibanez?

15. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    The neck is similar to my Jazz. It's slightly wider (not by much) and plays very nicely. Feels like I've had her forever. Fit and finish is fantastic!

16. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    We just lined up 4 gigs from a biker event we played at a couple of weekend ago...she will be my main axe for those (unless that 62 Fender Stack Pot Jazz mysteriously shows up on my door step)! I really like the organic sound and punch it had. Suits classic rock gigs perfectly.