1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (for the second time) - Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I was missing having a Cort Curbow in my collection - I realize the bass isn't for everybody, but I've owned a few Cort Curbow basses in the past, I agree they're not exceptional basses by any stretch of the imagination in terms of sound, but I find them very comfortable to play on and as an everyday practice beater bass, it should be good enough for government work. Full scale but still short in length (kodiakblair has a great photo on here somewhere comparing the size of it to a full scale bass and an Ibanez Mikro - it's not all that much bigger than the Mikro and it almost fits in a guitar gig bag.
    Many have complained that you can't play it while sitting down but perhaps my thigh is unusually shaped because it sits very well on it, doesn't slide off at all.
    Some have said playing it outside in heat affects the neck drastically but again, this is a beater bass so it won't see the sun all that much.

Now here's the funny thing, I used to own this very bass before, I sold it a while back - regretted doing so as it was in that Mystic Crazer finish, and now it's come back to me pretty much in the same condition as when I sold it - it seems like the recent owner picked it up at our local pawn shop- so it's exchanged hands a couple of times since I last saw it. Still in perfect condition with the addition of "the Misfits" neck marker decals. I'm not sure what to do with them, but I think I'll keep them on for now.

I don't know if they're still making the Cort Curbow basses as it's not showing up on their website so perhaps it's a good thing my old bass has returned to me.

24989518_10215856218506976_1968120745_n.

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm attaching Kodiakblair's picture here as it gives an idea of the length of the bass in comparison to the Mikro I don't own one to make this kind of comparison. I hope you don't mind Kodiakblair, but I think this photo's a good one to show that.
    CurbowScale.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    n1as, kodiakblair and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Never seen one of those... pretty cool!

Maxdusty likes this.
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I like the look a lot, I'm inherently distrustful of Cort stuff (not for any good reason, it was just the super cheap stuff at music shops when I was a kid so that stigma kinda stuck) and I don't know about that pickup or the placement. What is the tone like? What are options for swapping the pickup?

Maxdusty likes this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The stock pickup is a Bartolini AMK1-4/F - so not bad for a Cort bass. Older versions of the Cort Curbow use MightyMite. 3 band EQ with "slap" switch.
    Tone is a little on the thin side given the fact that it only uses a single pickup however a more recent version of the Cort Curbow utilizes two pickups and is made of wood. (original is Luthite)

The original Curbow has 27 frets (25 full, 2 additional frets for the E and A string).the newer wooden Curbow below has the standard 24)

wneqai1mjsbuhz3qi3mg.

the harp unstrung and Bass V like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    pretty cool to get it back in ...better shape ;)
    I wanted one for a long time but got more interested in the wood bodies yet have never seen one available, then I discovered the barely ever mentioned agathis burst bodied Retro which go for peanuts and I will have mine before the new year. my research says they're the better bass and without the negs the composites garner. you might want to check them out too! Cort Curbow retro 4 string Bass Guitar Tobacco Sunburst Finish | eBay

Maxdusty likes this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've not seen that finish - very cool. I have a 2001 in blue that I bought in 2006. I like it fine. I play using my thumb only up towards the neck and grasp the bottom of the bass for grip. That puts the forward most control (a volume) right in the way, so I have to be aware of that or else the volume gets boosted real quickly. Enjoy yours for the second time. :)

the harp unstrung and Maxdusty like this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    ha ha...it's your post about the Retro Curbow that made me miss having one. So I have you to thank for all this. I probably would have opted for the Retro being that it has the two J pickups but by chance and purely coincidental my old one showed up on my local swap site.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Bass V likes this.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thanks! Each of these basses done in this finish is unique - no two will ever look alike which is how I recognized the one on the swap site was indeed my old one (verified with the serial # too), some are much nicer than others - mine is pretty plain compared to some of the others I've seen but beggars can't be choosers, I'm fine with the one I have. Here's one that's also in the "mystic crazer" finish but it looks completely different from mine....and much better too. Darn.
    mystic crazer.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I almost bought a Cort headless bass, at a musical equipment extravaganza, many moons ago... seemed decent, for the price, but for whatever reason, I walked on it...

... pretty sure, this was it...

images(6).

... should have, would have, could have.

Maxdusty likes this.
  11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I'm surprised I've never seen one. Yours looks equally as good to me.

Maxdusty likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    cool! I can fully appreciate wanting a former bass back, I rarely have sold anything but try and sell to parties whom I stand a chance of getting them again if it was sale of desperation, and it's worked well. congrats on yours, I've never seen that grey Curbow finish, must be super rare.

Maxdusty likes this.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Not really rare I think , it was one of two finishes they did for the later ones. The other one is Mystic Orange crazer - I've never seen one of these and they don't come up for sale as often as the silver (or ice).
    21103048314175_748.

Bass V likes this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    whoa, never saw the orange before either, I like that!

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had a black one a while back but ended up trading or selling it as I had two headless basses, along with a Hohner headless bass I bought later. I decided I just wanted to keep one so the Cort was the one I decided to let go of. If my memory serves me correctly, the Cort headless was a pretty decent passive bass - I bought mine used for I believe $125, they're apparently selling for more these days.

Spidey2112 and Bass V like this.
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I used to have a 6 string version. I gave it away as a christmas present for my nephew.

Always loved these except for the active preamp.

17. david barnes

david barnes SUSPENDED

Sep 30, 2015
    Saint joseph missouri
    here in my city of saint joe Missouri. we have one bass like this in our local pawn shop for over 600 bucks and literally has been hanging in there for a decade.. they wont budge on the price even though its been there so long.. such and ugly bass imo.lol

Maxdusty likes this.
  18. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Never had a Cort bass myself, but going by the pic it is a good looking instrument.

The longer I do this the more important that comfort thing is to me. I've got a couple of parts basses which definitely won't win any beauty contests, but man they just feel right to play. Congrats on your score!

Maxdusty likes this.
  19. I spoke with Gregg Curbow (RIP) before he passed

As we spoke I asked him about Cort Curbows. Gregg said he was quite pleased with what Cort was doing with his design

So if The Man himself liked them ....

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    $600?? I see them now for around $200-400 used. A couple of years ago, you could find some even cheaper than that.Ugly but lovable. I have this love/hate thing going with the Cort Curbow basses. Just when I get rid of them, I want them back so I'm going to keep this one around.

david barnes and Mechanical like this.