1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fretless Peavey T-40. My first American and vintage bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minirehak 212, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    So I picked up a 7 string Dean guitar a couple weeks back, didn't play it so I decided to post it to see if I can get a trade. A day later someone posted that they had this Fretless T-40 with a replaced neck. We worked out the trade and here she is. The neck is a replacement Birdseye Maple with an Ebony board, Grover tuners, a brass nut and metal side position dots. there are no markings on the heel so I'm thinking it is a custom made. The neck looks and feels like it has been on the bass for a long time. 20170114_121953. 20170114_122014. 20170114_122819. 20170114_122833. I've gotta say this bass looks pretty sharp. The pots and PG are dated to mid to late 78 so we think the bass was finished between 78 and early 79. I wanna thank the guys over in the T-40 Club for helping me date this and giving me the correct wiring diagram for it. Somewhere down the line somebody really messed with the wiring. I have wanted one of these basses for a while so I am pretty excited to have one

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Lovely bass. I've got a T-40. You're going to have a lot of fun exploring the range of different sounds hidden inside that bass. Because the T-40 is a tone machine if there ever was one. It's a bass player's bass.

Congratulations on your first.

Play it well! :thumbsup:

Minirehak 212 likes this.
  3. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Thank you, and don't worry i know this will be one of my new facorites. So far the only time I had to play it was testing out my wiring. But just from that I could tell what kind of options this thing has. What's funny is i'm not a Vintage bass guy but something about the T-40's really caught my attention. I'm thinking sometime down the line looking for a 70's fretted neck for it just for when I wouldn't want fretless.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm not much for vintage qua vintage either. I just like good sounding basses. Age is just a number in my book. If they're old, that's fine. If the lacquer hasn't completely cured, I'm good with that too. FWIW, the T-40 (like my mainstay which is a Gibson Ripper) is what I think of when I think prog-rock. That clean but still deep bass sound that has a whole palette of different tonal textures and nuances - and exceptional note clarity. Also in that category is that ubiquitous prog mainstay, the Ric.

If you get a chance, check out a T-20 down the road. Lighter and more limited in the range of sounds. But it has an equally awesome tone that's different - yet paradoxically packs the same sort of vibe as the T-40. It's kinda like a Gibson. Each model sounds different but still always sounds like the brand.

Cool tools. You're gonna love yours. :cool:

5. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    What I like to shoot for is more of a modern bass tone. I get a really clear and punchy tone from my German Warwick Corvette. I've never been a fan of Ricks but I like the tone and I know the T-40 can cop that tone pretty well. It is going to be a lot of fun messing with the knobs.
    I've seen the T-20 pop up around here a few times but I haven't looked into it too much. If I find one for cheap locally I just might want to pick it up. I also have a Peavey Fury 2 that sounds just like an active P

6. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    So I've spent a bit more time with this, getting it set up and spent a good hour messing with the settings. This is one of the most versatile and best sounding basses I have played. I can see why people love these basses

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Despite not needing any more basses i would always consider another T40 (i have a white one now). Yesterday i spotted a very RED T45 at my local B&M music store and the GAS swelled. Fortunately it didn't speak to me and weighed more than my T40! GAS averted!

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup: i'd still have my t-40 if it had been fretless: hope you have fun with yours!

9. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Oh man now that got me thinking, I would kill for a nice trans red T-40. I have no weight problems with mine. My Ray35 actually weighs more than it. Idk maybe my neck doesn't weigh ad much?

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    wow the birdseye figuring on that neck is sweet!

11. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    where was this t45?
    pm if need be?

also

in regards to the op and this fantastic fretless

does anyone know of a neck maker that could do such a thing these days?

12. Wow! That's a lovely bass OP!

13. Nice!
    I dig the stealthy black on black look with the ebony FB.
    Now, if it had black tape wound strings...

14. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Nice birdseye. Any idea who made the neck?

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    wow!

I had a T-40 years ago (my first new bass)....never should have sold it!

Bet that sounds great!

Minirehak 212 and rogerbmiller like this.
  16. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Here is a link to a demo I made with mine. 2 bass tracks- baseline and a solo/melody in upper register.

Very full, round warm tone. I played both pickups with some of the treble rolled off.

17. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Yeah that bass was a looker alright. But I have since parted with it. As great as it looked there was a few things that I didn't like about the neck. It felt weird playing on and the dots were far from the right position for fretless playing. The neck is currently residing with @Uncle Hanky in a closet somewhere and the body is a few blocks away, back in it's original form FB_IMG_1516599156472.
    I was talking to my bass player buddy that lives a few blocks away about my issues with the neck, and he told me he had a T40 neck and would buy the body from me. So I took it.

There's a natural ash one at the shop he works at that is calling my name though

I'm guessing it was an aftermarket, hand made Fender neck that someone along the line modified to fit the T40. There were sander burn marks on the sides of the neck joint and the heel didn't line up at all with the pocket.

rogerbmiller and Uncle Hanky like this.
  18. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I AM GONNA USE IT ONE DAY, OKAY