NBD! Fretless Sire 5 content!! She's a keepah!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brother Goose, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Like many of my Talkbass classified addicted brethren, I was deeply moved by this post

For Sale - Large Collection - 61 Basses, sold as a single lot

I scoured this amazing collection and expressed my interest in the Chuck Rainey Smith and Fretless Sire 5.

The Smith was an easy $2k above my budget so I made a market value offer for the Fretless. Sold!!!

Less than two days later and to my endless delight- the bass arrived PERFECTLY packed in her case with headstock wrapped in plastic bubbles and fingerboard protected by paper. It was, far and away, the best packing job I've ever seen on a shipped bass.

True to sellers word, the bass is IMMACULATE and came with an incredible setup. The action is low, fast, and perfectly intonated to the high Eb on the g string.

We've all heard the rave reviews about Sire and this is my third installment. My previous basses were fretted V7 which I sold due to impulse (not jiving w rosewood) and altruism (hooking a pro bassist buddy up w a backup that has gone on to replace his Sadowsky).

I've been wanting a lined Fretless (out of respect for my listeners) and pure Jaco bass for some time and this mama checks those boxes!

The fb appears to have some sort of glassy coating and MWAHs like nobodies business. The preamp enables a huge variety of tones and it even sounds great slapped.

Although I am still adjusting to the non asymmetrical neck and shorter horn and scale length vs my Geckos- I am absolutely in love with this instrument.

We've already played a gig together and I was able to keep her in perfect tune and get a great sound (or so I was told).

The combination of a great instrument, a perfect setup, and the positive juju that comes from helping a fellow bassist clear space for a playroom for his daughters really made me feel great about this purchase.

Thank you John! @xnewyorka

IMG_20190705_150558.jpg
    IMG_20190709_182842.jpg IMG_20190709_182735.jpg IMG_20190709_182814.jpg

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Very nice!! Enjoy !!:bassist::thumbsup:

Brother Goose likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would like fretless V7 myself.:bassist:

4. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Says the man with a Pentabuzz?! She has a strikingly similar sound - or is that due to strikingly similar striking of strings?

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It would be good to have a backup and travel bass.:) Now that Michael Pedulla has retired, there will no new Pentabuzzes.

6. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I'd feel the same way about something as increasingly rare and inherently beautiful as a Buzz has become now that Pedulla has retired!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021