1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD - Fullerton AVRI P Bass - Candy Apple Red over Lake Placid Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rkwells101, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The neck looks like its dated 1986 right? Most of his info is correct except the part about limited USA made at Fullerton still. There was possibly some models assembled with old parts during that time but nothing actually being produced from Fullerton. It's hard to say based on the photos you have if that is a left over Fullerton body or not. The neck is dated 86 with the odd logo location so its a Corona neck. In the photo with the neck pocket it does not appear to have a router bump meaning that it is likely a Corona body as well.

2. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Really nice bass...Congrats!!! I've been eyeballing that one for a while and I'm happy a TBer grabbed it!

rkwells101 likes this.
  3. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Nice!

My understanding is that the Fender "Fullerton" reissues are from '82 and '83. However, that doesn't even slightly preclude your P-Bass from being a killer instrument. Enjoy!

Sands and rkwells101 like this.
  4. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    The previous owner represented the neck date as 85. The 5 may be obscured a bit by some debri that makes it kinda look like a 6 but that logo placement may be a dead giveaway. I searched as many as I could find and the logo placements are all a bit different.

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I would look at the edge where the blue changes to red- Candy Apple is shotover silver, gold or some other metallic color, not another color coat. If they had shot CA directly over blue, it might need to be called 'Lake Candy Placid Apple Purple'.

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    It is hard to read but I would say it looks more like a 6. I have never seen a reissue bass dated 1985 that I can remember. The logo placement is 100% early Corona and since that factory was active in 86 I would side with the date on the neck being 86 as well. Do you have another photo of the neck pocket area? If it really is missing the router bump then it's all Corona. Those are still great basses and the early ones had the slim necks but if he charged you a premium by saying its a Fullerton its worth bringing up with the seller.

Sands, Whale, Rayjay and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Google video of "Butt Fumble" you ll find out who M.Sanchez is!:woot::roflmao:
    https://www.workinsports.c butt-fumble.jpg

mikewalker and rkwells101 like this.
  8. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021

mikewalker and Sands like this.
  9. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    Does anyone have experience with Ron Sweet pickups. These are currently in the bass and are represented as hand wound. I could not find any information on the pickup or the builder. Should I replace them with a 80’s P pickup or suggestions?? See picture below.

Attached Files:

10. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I have a p bass with a gastelum neck too. It's amazingly flat and easy to play (even though it's the 1.75" width). It's a keeper. Take care of the neck, and throw flats on there. I'm using TIs, but I also like the la Bella. You can't go wrong.

PWRL, Sands and rkwells101 like this.
  11. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    That thing will rock with TIs or DTFs, both of which I love, but my '74 P is currently sporting Sadowsky Blue Label flats and I'm really loving them!

rkwells101 and Sands like this.
  12. reno88

reno88

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    don't fall victim to the flats kool-aid (kidding, but only kinda). been there, tried that - multiple times. get some d'addario rounds, and don't look back! long live clank and zing!!

rkwells101 likes this.
  13. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    What makes, TI jazz flats great ? Never tried..or heard of them..

14. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Nice Bass ..

rkwells101 likes this.
  15. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    TI Flats. Buy 'em once, enjoy for YEEEEEEEEARS!

ELG60, Sands, FenderOli and 2 others like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Thomastik Infeld strings are flats that have a magic wrap of silk (?) under the winding which gives them a uniquely pliable feel. But they also have tremendous sustain for a flat. They really are among the best playing and best sounding strings you can buy at any price. Which, by the way, is a lot, but they last forever so the price only hurts once. There are a million threads about them here. If you ever find a decent deal (below $70) get a set and rediscover your favorite bass, the depth of tone is remarkable. Lower tension flats that you can still get a decent slap tone from.
    Plus they are from Vienna where sausages in a can come from, I'm told.

18. I own a '91 Jaco Pastorius Signature, 001 of 100 neck made by H. Gastelum and it sounds awesome.
    However, I have other Fenders not made by him that also sound great.
    I'd say play it and enjoy it without worring too much about who build it, is your job to make it sound the best now.

19. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    Wise words. I will play it. I will enjoy it. Unless the neck is off nobody knows who built it all they care about is the sound coming out of it. Thanks for the perspective. Also, would love to see that Jaco bass and the story...

nixdad and Sands like this.
  20. In 1991, Chris Maury from the Bass Centre, released a Jaco Pastorius Signature Bass with the authorization of Jaco's Estate under the supervision of Kevin Kaufman. There were 100 intruments built by Fender Custom Shop, I believe they also release a James Jamerson "Funk Machine" but never seen one.
    I was lucky enough to get a hold of Bass 001 of the series, it cost me an absurd amount of money at the time, but I am glad I bought it. Here are some pictures of "my" bass of doom.
    Body Front.jpg Neck plate.jpg Jaco Bass full picture.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021