1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fullerton AVRI P Bass - Candy Apple Red over Lake Placid Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rkwells101, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Whale

Whale

Apr 12, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hi RK, I have an old bandmate friend in San Diego who (I'm 99% sure) bought his AVRI P Bass new in 1986. His bass is black but I seem to remember him telling me that another color was starting to emerge beneath the dings and wear areas. I'll have him check the build dates on his neck and body, the serial number, as well as the finish(es) so that we can see if it is a match to yours.

From what I can tell, you appear to have a very very early Corona AVRI - which is totally NOT a bad thing. In fact, my friend still has his AVRI because it's such an outstanding bass. In the 35 years that he's owned the bass I've never seen him without it. His name is Dickie and he calls his bass Tommy (partly because he likes the Smothers Brothers and partly because he plays a lot of Who tunes with his band). He is one of the few bassists I know who can come close to pulling off the Entwistle parts... and maybe the only one who would do so using a P Bass.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    rkwells101, Sands and FenderOli like this.
  2. Whale

Whale

Apr 12, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Incidentally, Ron Sweet is a boutique winder. He started winding back in 2003 or 2004. He definitely knows his stuff and many like his pickups. He was known for building very close copies of certain years/eras of pickups. If I'm not mistaken I think he used to sell his wares on eBay but I haven't seen him there in a while.

rkwells101 likes this.
  3. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    TI flats are great. I have a Precision that wears them often. They last forever but definitely have a particular sound. Most often, though, my go-to strings are DR Sunbeams.

nixdad and rkwells101 like this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello @wysiwyg248 -
    This is way too funny. I had just commented on this same post before you did.
    Here's the issue from Bass Player Magazine which was the first time the ad appeared:
    BC Jaco Ad.jpg

BTW, although up to 100 were commissioned to be made by the Fender Custom Shop of both the James Jamerson Tribute Bass and Jaco Pastorius Signature Bass, less than 50 of each were actually produced. You have the rarest of the rare!

Where did you find Jaco #1?

Here's photo of the Jaco Bass Crew from 1991:
    FCS Jaco Bass Crew.jpeg
    L-R: Kevin Kaufman (Jaco's bass tech,) Chris Maury (The Bass Centre L.A.,) John Page (Fender Custom Shop Manager) & J.Black (Fender Custom Shop luthier.)

5. Wow!!!! Is great to know more details of this bass history.
    Back in the day I read some articles, but didn't spend too much time. I joined a latin band, the leader asked me to learn to read music and charts (BTW, this was the reason why I had to pick up the bass) and start learning more about the instrument. He loved to visit pawn shops and I started to go with him, in the meantime I learned about Jaco, got his book, etc. Thru the internet, I run into this bass in eBay but the seller pull the listing before I put a bid on it, that was about 2007 I think. I contact him thru eBay asking about the bass, etc. and told him that if he ever wanted to sell, to contact me. I got an email from him like 4 years later asking if I was still interested, and I bought it. He was the second owner I believe, live in NJ (I am in suburban Detroit). I remember paying quite a bit of money -don't even want to check how much, LOL- and sending him a check. The back arrived a week later. If I think about what I did then, I'd probably wouldn't do it these days.
    I truly looked for the James Jamerson version, at that time eBay was my main source, but never run into one of those. Thank you bery much for the details, I heard about Fender not selling that many instruments but though it was a rumor. The neck and body have the old Oval custom shop ink stamp, neck is dated Feb 22, 1991. Is probably one of the earliest jobs done by the custom shop I guess.
    I saw one of these in Reverb a couple of years ago and another one in a Bass dealer in Spain (Vigo) called Doctor Bass.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    rkwells101, Sands and nixdad like this.
  6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Jamerson and Jaco basses were exclusive to The Bass Centre L.A., however, I believe some were shipped to England as well after I had left the store in ‘93 (some may have been sold through our sister store in London.) I’m not surprised to learn that some of these found their way to Europe.

If my memory is correct, I sold Jaco #1 (which belonged to the store) at a Vintage Guitar Show in Pomona, CA in 1993, which was the same show where I sold my mint condition Ampeg B-15 that was used in the Jamerson ad:
    JJ Tribute Bass Ad Photo.jpeg
    I know a Jaco Sig Bass was just sold in England a few months ago for about $6k. I’d love to find out what you paid for the bass 10 years ago. I’ll pm you if you wish.

Chris

@rkwells101 -
    Sorry to hijack your thread. No disrespect intended.;)

rkwells101, Sands and FenderOli like this.
  7. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I may be in the minority here, but stick with the rounds.

wysiwyg248 likes this.
  8. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    USER=377813]@rkwells101[/USER] -
    Sorry to hijack your thread. No disrespect intended.;)[/QUOTE]

No disrespect taken. I LOVE this stuff. I love the stories of where equipment ends up and how equipment is acquired. Wsywig, would have never gotten this information otherwise. Directly from the gentlemen who sold it originally. Priceless. I just took possession of my bass the AM and will post some better pictures to get a better province of my instrument. Sometimes it is a very small world.

nixdad likes this.
  9. I also bougth another
    No disrespect taken. I LOVE this stuff. I love the stories of where equipment ends up and how equipment is acquired. Wsywig, would have never gotten this information otherwise. Directly from the gentlemen who sold it originally. Priceless. I just took possession of my bass the AM and will post some better pictures to get a better province of my instrument. Sometimes it is a very small world.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the seller just told me he was the second owner. At the time, I was not much into the internet and as I said, today I'd probably check the bass pedigree personally before buying it. I think it was more of an impulsive buy because I didn't get it the first time. I must thank Chris (nixdad) for claryfing most of the stuff and actually brining more information that I ever had about the instrument. Please post those pictures!

rkwells101 likes this.
  10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I have no problem with that, you can go with what makes you feel more at home for sure. .. :)

rkwells101 and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  11. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Agreed!

nixdad and rkwells101 like this.
  12. TaylorP9911

TaylorP9911

Feb 18, 2021
    Nashville, TN
    Congrats!! I've been eyeing that bass on reverb knowing that I shouldn't... thanks for shielding me from financial ruin. Its a preference thing, but hard to go wrong with Labellas

rkwells101 likes this.
  13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I see the listing on reverb now. It does look like maybe there is a router bump on the neck heel so the body could be leftover Fullerton. Everything else is straight Corona. With no original case, a swapped pickup and a possible refinish I would be hitting the guy up for a partial based on his massive misrepresentation of that bass in his description. Those early Coronas are still wicked cool and I have no doubt that's a solid player but he was for sure charging top dollar for a modded reissue even if it WAS a Fullerton.

rkwells101 likes this.
  14. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    Johnny, I just got possession of the bass last night and will post some pictures today. It’s a tough call I believe that it is a Fullerton/Corona bass put together right at the end of Fullerton and very, very beginning of Corona. H. Gastelum neck, the instrument is handmade and the closest I will get to handmade 62 p bass as I am willing to spend right now and it sounds awesome even with crappy strings and a poopy set up. The replacement pickups are really good. If I want a period correct pickup (80’s) I can get one on Reverb right now for $300.
    I think it is a historic bass given the timeframe. The CAR may be a refin (not sure yet) even if it is a refin still a custom color as the under colors appear to be Aztec gold and lake placid blue. Not sure how to tell if the CAR is nitro but I think it is.
    I paid 2k for it and may have over paid $500 by my estimation. During these weird COVID times when many are struggling financially I am not. The money I would ask back is not going to break me. I am going to enjoy hunting down all period correct bits and pieces over the next few years. For those reasons I will NOT be asking for money. We will know soon if it is a Fullerton Corona combo or straight Corona. Even it is a straight Corona it is a very early one. Remember I sent the photos I had to Fender and they told me it is consistent with their Fullerton production of the early 80’s.

porterbass likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

while the origins/pedigree of your ax are exciting to know/research, you have a great playing ax (in the meantime). i hope you get some thrills and chills from the fact that your ax plays/feels so nice! it looks cool, that's for sure --- welcome to talkbass and congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

rkwells101 likes this.
  16. Lacquer looks legit:
    1 Fullerplast, 2 LPB, 3 Gold, 4 CAR
    wjujnrbdomlup5zohmjv.jpg

(Pickguard isn't the original).

You can also compare the contours.
    The Corona ones have a slight smaller router hump.
    Fullerton Corona Contours

17. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    '74 A neck made by Herb G.
    20200204_122645.jpg

18. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    Picture time. 1st is the neck date. I think it is a 5 and not 6. Based on the flat portion of the number would denote a 5 as a 6 has no flat areas. If you look at the top portion of the number (above the flat) the pencil is lighter possibly meaning that it was the end of the stroke and not the beginning. Finally, when one draws a 6 one would start at the top and curl around. When one ends a 5 it is very easy to end your number and accidentally continue on. A 5 would match to the pot dates. A2D79466-CC5F-43DD-80B6-57ADB8EACF2E.jpeg

19. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    6246696E-0F1B-4B32-A8DC-5BCA65DEC042.jpeg D3D3FC4C-ADFE-4726-A90B-9601442C842A.jpeg 80EC36BC-9EA4-459F-AE71-39A86B99EBF9.jpeg 08ACF811-FDD1-4AFB-AE7C-EF3565D7960E.jpeg Now for the router hump. I have no experience spotting one so I look to you guys. Here are pictures from different angles. I am also a bit curious about the two extra holes in the neck pocket. 6246696E-0F1B-4B32-A8DC-5BCA65DEC042.jpeg D3D3FC4C-ADFE-4726-A90B-9601442C842A.jpeg 6246696E-0F1B-4B32-A8DC-5BCA65DEC042.jpeg D3D3FC4C-ADFE-4726-A90B-9601442C842A.jpeg 6246696E-0F1B-4B32-A8DC-5BCA65DEC042.jpeg D3D3FC4C-ADFE-4726-A90B-9601442C842A.jpeg 6246696E-0F1B-4B32-A8DC-5BCA65DEC042.jpeg D3D3FC4C-ADFE-4726-A90B-9601442C842A.jpeg 6246696E-0F1B-4B32-A8DC-5BCA65DEC042.jpeg D3D3FC4C-ADFE-4726-A90B-9601442C842A.jpeg

20. rkwells101

rkwells101

Feb 19, 2021
    Bridge with no serial numbers: C2DCEB6E-D3E2-40AF-A59A-BD8455070DA7.jpeg A2BAC750-0F87-4E43-8A7A-D7DF11D915EB.jpeg

nixdad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021