NBD - G&L El Toro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SonnyBassPlayer, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    It has been on Tuesday but I didn't have the time to post decently. This is not my first NBD since I joined TB but it's the first I care writing.
    I had been roaming the "Italian reverb" website for a while looking for something cool to grab. I recently struggled a bit with my beloved P bass 'till one day I saw a G&L I had never seen. I searched the net and found very little info.
    Now, G&Ls are rare on their own in Italy, vintage ones are even fewer... This El Toro (one of the two on sale in the nation) was a half hour drive from my home, so I took the car and went to try it. I should add it was the first time I bought a used bass off the hands of the owner.
    DSC_1357.JPG

The first impression was that the weight was not really low (could be my heaviest bass) but that made it super stable and comfortable and makes my fenders feel like they neck dive like a thunderbird.
    The sound was huge and tone availability was just what I needed.
    The strings on it were totally dead and gummy feeling yet it rumbled (maybe thanks to the Acoustic 2x15 I tried it on...), the body has clear signs of abuse and it had also some paint drops... Overall for the price I payed I think the shape iw good enough, plus adding the rarity of the brand+model+finish+position made it worthy.

Edit: Bass cover recorded:
    Solo-ed neck PU in active mode + Tech 21 VT Bass

DSC_1366.JPG DSC_1367.JPG DSC_1369.JPG DSC_1370.JPG DSC_1371.JPG DSC_1365.JPG

I already found keys for bridge and truss adjusting, nothing yet for the neck tilt in my gear.. Does anyone know the precise measure??
    The only thing that scares me a bit is a bit of a ramp at the bass side of the neck heel... yet it's not afffecting my playing since I'm not really a low-actioner.
    I ticked some boxes with this bass and I'm finally satisfied enough to post a NBD thread.

This bass thunders. ⚡

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Nice find. Not a version that I've ever seen, but I sure do like it. Sounds like you're pretty happy with and that's the most important thing. Enjoy!

SonnyBassPlayer likes this.
  3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Those things are so cool. Nice find.

4. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You can't go wrong with a Leo era G&L.

waynobass and SonnyBassPlayer like this.
  5. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    El Toros are beasts. Congratulations!

6. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Thanks a lot!
    Yeah thinking Leo was at the building when this bass came out baffles me a bit since I've always been on the Fender side of things. Playing it you can feel it's not like a P or a J but I admit if feels fender. The neck has totally got a modern C shape just like the MIM P I've been playing since 2008 so that helps too.
    The previous owner confirmed, owning all vintage L2000 and a Wunkay that the El Toro feels most Fender of the 3. He let me try the L2000 and if I had to connect it to something else it sounded more Gibson-y.

Tbone76 likes this.
  7. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    There is a lot of knowledge on the BassesbyLeo forum.

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Cool bass, Congrats!

9. detroitbasscity

detroitbasscity

Jan 25, 2017
    Detroit
    There’s been a red one for sale on my local Craigslist for a long time that I’ve always gas’d for. How does this thing sound tonally? More j bass or stingray?

10. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I would say J but there is a switch which runs both pickups in series which sounds almost Warwick-ish, very alive sounding and a great change from the warm and round sounds it has in abundance.

11. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Very nice. I agree, heavy is better than neck divey. Looks like an ebony fretboard?

12. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    cool bass....... Leo himself may have done a little Quality Control playing on that .....(at least that is what I would tell myself)

13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Ah, what a sweet bass! Love those old G&Ls... or any G&Ls for that matter!

Nice score! Bellissimo!!!

14. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    El Toro are a wicked cool bass

15. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

The Bull.......

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. Congrats on a good-looking Bull. May it serve you well.

My main bass for more than a decade was a black El Toro and it was one of the most versatile basses I've ever played, let alone owned. A number of usable sounds that these instruments are capable of producing is rather amazing IMO.

Play it in good health and enjoy!

Pbassmanca and lowdownthump like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Those thing punch AND growl. Sweet bass!

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. Bellissimo, very nice score. Just curious, which site do you consider the "Italian reverb"?

19. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Thanks a lot for the cool replies!

Mercatino Musicale, of course! Grazie

I am not sure actually. I only owned rosewood and maple boards and this totally looks darker than my MIMs and Gibson. I'll take it to my tech (he loves vintage stuff) and he surely will be able to tell me.

If you like the looks go ahead. I never ownerd a Stingray so I can't really tell. Compared to a Jazz it feels bigger sounding, it also gets easily more aggressive. I think it nails a P tone quite well. I played over some Clash and QOTSA and it fit greatly over both.

waynobass and detroitbasscity like this.
  20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Ciao sonnybassplayer :)

que bella ragazza :hyper::hyper::hyper: happy NBD

greetings

Wise(b)ass

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022