NBD G&L JB Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I ordered this bass from Musicians Friend Tuesday as a stupid deal of the day . It was $499 usually and was on sale for $299 . I need a 4 string like I need a hole in my head but the wife said do I want it for my birthday in September . What ? OK ! 20200723_180201.jpg 20200724_132658.jpg 20200724_132713.jpg 20200724_132718.jpg
    It plays and sounds great . Most reviews on Musicians Friend said the bridge was too far back to get the intonation right and that those basses had a 21 fret neck . Mine is a 20 fret . I did a setup on this bass and it intonated just fine , I was relieved . It is basswood and weighs 9.8 pounds so it's not Empress but both my other basses are about the same weight so it doesn't bother me at all . Tuners are nice and the pickups sound very good. The pots are 250k full size and the jack seems very snug . Very nice bass ! And she let me have it now .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Very nice. :thumbsup:
    And glad they sorted out the 21 fret neck issue.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Great deal on a beautiful bass!

MCF likes this.
  4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    For $299, that's a Grand Slam!!
    You'll never find more bass for less $$$.

One Way likes this.
  5. $299 ? ? ? ? You STOLE it. Don't take any Police Benefit gigs !

One Way and MCF like this.
  6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Nice color!

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Dang! You need to get that thang on a stage. Looks awesome, jelly of that deal too.

8. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Thanks guys ,
    I watched the Cubs play tonight and like I used to do I played a bass unplugged while watching . The pandemic has put a halt to my playing like this and tonight was awesome . I got to bond with the G&L and it's really nice . The notes all over the neck sustain forever and it feels solid . I put my cheek on the upper horn when playing sitting on the floor watching sports and I can hear/feel the tone unplugged . This bass sings .

Roger W and FatCity like this.
  9. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    ALMOST bought one of these, but got one (a sunburst with maple fb) about 6 months ago for only a little bit more and gig bag. I had to seriously talk my self out of it, mine is a great bass regardless of the money.

10. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I get the stupid deal of the day message every day and I somehow missed this one! Damn....

11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I almost jumped on this deal too but I’m trying to thin my basses not get anymore..

12. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Love the color! If only the headstock were painted to match.

Congrats and enjoy!

Blues Bass 2 likes this.
  13. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    For anybody interested it's up Today again, stupid deal of the day

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    She's a KEEPER!

Oh, and nice bass too! :roflmao:

15. I ordered & recv'd this bass a couple of weeks ago, a fine player but just too heavy to keep so back to MF it went! my shoulder ached after 4 hours of playing over that weekend.
    My P Bass was lighter & my G&L JB2 Tribute was a feather compared to that one.. Oh well!

16. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I don't play 4 hour gigs anymore so the 9.8 pounds that mine weighs doesn't bother me . Getting some shielding tape and some new Dunlop Superbrite strings for it this week . The original strings sounded good for a week and then went dead . Still can't get over how easy it plays . It inspired me to do a fret job on my Sire which I did today . It still doesn't play as well as the G&L but is way better .

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    A lot of bass for a little money!
    Nice to see they're making a few Tributes with maple fretboards.
    My birthday's in September, too, so I bought myself a G&L L2000..has to weigh 2 or 3 lbs more than my other L2000!
    Enjoy!

18. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Did some shielding today , the conductive paint wasn't conducting very well . 20200825_132545.jpg

19. FatCity

FatCity Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    It is up again today. I just ordered one!

Blues Bass 2 likes this.
  20. that kinda makes for an overactive salivatory gland dont it? nice thumper!:drool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021