1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD G&L Kiloton 5 Empress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gmarcus, Nov 24, 2018.

1. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    This is my new main bass! I seem to be following Leo Fenders progression only on 5 strings. I played a Fender P5 for about 5 years then switched to a fender American Jazz V for about 3 years then I switched to a G&L JB5 in Empress for a few years and now this beauty. Here is the original for sale thread
    SOLD - G&L Kiloton 5 - Blackburst - 2018 - Excellent Condition - 7.5 lbs!

and a picture at my place
    Kiloton 5.
    Honestly when I first played it I hated it. I was so used to the sound of a J Bass. This thing is aggressive and very high output. Then I discovered the trick. You have to turn the volume to about 1/2 and it mellows out nicely.

I brought it to practice with the Reggae band and recorded the whole thing so you can hear how it sounds in context. It sounds kind of like a synth at times compared to the J bass. What I realized when I was mixing the recordings is it sounds a lot like what I I was pushing my Jbass to sound like with various overdrive and fuzz plugins. I removed most of that stuff for these recordings, but there is a little bit of band limited fuzz mixed in (about 10% from 400hz to 6K) so that you can hear the bass on small speakers.

Here are the recordings

for reference here are most of the same songs recorded with my G&L JB5

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Very nice bass. Looks and sounds great.

Ikkir and gmarcus like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very nice --- your ax and your playing! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

lowdownthump and gmarcus like this.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "volume at half"
    Try lowering the pickup all the way, if you care to.
    Personally, I prefer the volume open, it's more aggressive.
    But, if you prefer what rolling volume shut does, then that's cool too!

I like my KT a lot.

jbd5015 and lowdownthump like this.
  5. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    Hey Chef. I did lower the pick up and then raised the row of pole pieces closest to the neck. I left the bridge row almost all the way down to get my tone. It's a little clearer this way. Mind you I'm coming from a J bass with both pickups on full all the time. It was quite the adjustment for me. In the band setting it is beautiful....at home it still sounds kind of ugly to me. Volume at half in serial mode matches the volume of my J. This thing is wicked hot!

6. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    By the way I put Chromes on this bass. I also tried some old TI jazz flats but they just didn't sound right. The Tis have nice complex miss that were completely overwhelmed by the voice of this bass. The chromed are much more balanced on this one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018