NBD: G&L L-2500 Series 750

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g-dude, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Big chonk indeed! Sounds great, and plays easily in spite of (or maybe because) of its size.

59C74059-9912-4094-895B-8800FFB860BE.jpeg
    74E6BF46-718E-4BB9-AEF0-DB7F01AF378A.jpeg

2. Beauty. I love the L series basses.

BrentSimons, Rod Barchetta and g-dude like this.
  3. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Congrats! Still waiting on my Chungus. Hope to see it sometime soon!

BrentSimons, Lammchop93, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  4. That is a REALLY nice bass!

BrentSimons and g-dude like this.
  5. Thank you!

Not sure how well it’s showing up, but really nice grain pattern on the fretboard. Also the back of the neck has figuring, which is a pleasant surprise.

It’s definitely not a petite instrument. I’m about 6’ and 220lbs, and it certainly feels substantial.

I’m glad I invested in a padded strap! :roflmao:

BrentSimons, wmmj and Rod Barchetta like this.
  6. Give us some pictures of the backside and the neck

g-dude likes this.
  7. I forgot to say please. If you can.

BrentSimons and g-dude like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yowzuh! That's beautiful. These things are on my radar for sure.

BrentSimons, g-dude and Rod Barchetta like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    G'dang! That is a fine looking bass. Rock it.

g-dude and Rod Barchetta like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  11. I’ll take some photos tomorrow!

Rod Barchetta likes this.
  12. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    gorgeous! G&L is on a roll lately.

Rod Barchetta and g-dude like this.
  13. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Hey CONGRATS!!!! And please do a full review if you can, I'm kind of excited to hear when Lobster does his review, man that dude does some AWESOME reviews but again Lobster can make a one string wash-tub bass sound like an Alembic!!!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  14. So first some photos of the back… The back photo of the body isn’t coming out as great as I would like due to some weird lighting stuff going on, but as you can see the wood definitely has character - both on the body and the neck.

807B83D9-D556-4C24-81BC-F8E3894824CA.jpeg

CFF06944-B701-4C33-B70E-10633CBA6AAE.jpeg

So let’s talk a bit more about the bass itself.

I did get it pleked, so I can’t comment on the setup out of the box. Also, I had them use TI Super Alloy strings, so I can’t comment on the stock strings.

The plek job is good - it arrived and was ready to go, with no issues - as expected. Action is lower than I have most of my other instruments set up, but there’s no fret buzz going on so the low action is great - absolutely no complaints.

I went with the TI Super Alloys after putting them on my Spector Euro 4LT. Great string, lots of “character”, and with a real “musical” quality that you’d expect from a company that specializes in orchestral strings.

I cannot emphasize how much of a big chonk this instrument is. I’m a hair under 6’ (1.83 meters) and am weighing in at around 220lbs (100kg), and this feels big. Frankly, if I were a small person, it’d be hilariously awesome, much in the way that it’d be great to see Shaq playing a ukulele. I still need to weigh it, but this is not a lightweight instrument, and a decent sized strap with padding isn’t a bad idea.

In the past, one of the things that bugged me about other five strings I tried is that they feel cramped. This is not that situation at all. My right hand definitely appreciates the extra room, even if I do need to slightly modify how I mute strings in practice as someone who primarily plays four stringers.

My left hand is still getting used to things, as the neck is wider than anything else I own. The neck is comfortable, and the width does encourage you to adopt good left hand habits. Fret access is good, but let’s be real - you’re probably not going to grab for the 19th fret of the B string.

I generally find myself plucking anywhere between the middle of the two pickups, to between the bridge pickup and the bridge. Good location for my hand to naturally want to go to, and the tone is pleasing.

Moving on to the controls, I honestly haven’t messed with the knobs. It’s got volume, bass, and treble control - all passive, and they behave like you’d expect. I’m currently using both pickups for the best of all worlds. Series mode for each pickup is definitely more beefy sounding than parallel, but I’d suspect that perhaps switching to parallel and then just turning up the volume would work well in a situation where you were having trouble standing out in the mix. Passive on the bass sounds like passive, active sounds active, and the final position on the switch seems like it’d be good for if your amp was on 10, and you needed an 11. In generally, I suspect I’ll leave it as both pickups, series, and active.

I guess to sum it up, this is who I’d say this bass is for people who:

- want a five string, and prefer a bit more room.
    - need something that can sound modern AND close enough to classic in a useable sense, but that looks classic enough to not draw complaints from people who listen with their eyeballs.
    - are looking for a high quality American-made instrument that isn’t Custom Shop or high end boutique level, but that hits the high end of the tier below those two. It definitely feels like a fancier and more special instrument than my Fender American Professional Jazz bass - there is simply no contest. It’s been a while since I’ve tried Fender’s American Ultra, but thinking back, this feels like a better hit in terms of what you get for a similar amount of money.

Frankly, I’m regretting buying G&L instruments because they keep making me want to replace my Fenders, which is just going to mean I end up spending more money. Well played, G&L. Well played.

One Way, Joshua and two fingers like this.
  15. My L-2500 is on the way! I just couldn't take it anymore. I gotta have one.

One Way and g-dude like this.
  16. Like Borat said: That's a niiiice!

g-dude likes this.
  17. Series 750 or regular?

18. I prefer the 18 mm spacing. 19mm on a 5 is just too challenging for my left hand. I have a Sire P7 5 string with 18 and I really dig it. And I slap like a monster!

I'm looking for that massive tonal pallet. Leo said it was his best bass. I gotta have one.

19. Well, hopefully you get your’s soon.

It’s interesting - people tend to move towards smaller because they think it is easier, but sometimes smaller is harder! It’s all about your hands.

It’s funny because a fat neck will work better on a longer scale length bass because it forces your hand to open up wider and so you have more reach.

20. It is definitely a preference. I learned on a 16.5 mm Ibanez. Once I mastered the floating thumb technique, I found I could play faster on the tighter spacing. But it wasn't as much fun. I felt confined with my right hand. At 18 mm spacing, it feels much more natural to switch between 4 and 5 strings.
    I don't have to think about it as much, much more natural. And my left hand is pretty much at its limit at this neck width.

But for larger people, I can definitely see where 19 mm would be more comfortable. I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs, so I am a pretty average size.

But I play way above my weight!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021