1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - G&L LB-100 HoneyBurst

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VerryBerry, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Ordered this about 6 weeks ago through my dealer. Might have liked to go with the matching paint scheme on the headstock, but I was pushing past my limit $$-wise as it is. Figured the quartersawn neck option was more worthwhile. Body wood is alder. Weight on a digital scale is 9.0 lbs. Beautifully balanced - no neck dive. PLEK'd neck and all. Just got it today. Really like the feel of it.

Back CloseUp. Front CloseUp. Front Face.

2. That is a very nice bass! What are you going to string her with?

3. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I have a 2nd LB100 on order as well. That alder looks great. I would not have expected that much of a grain pattern. Nine lbs is light for an LB100. My first LB100 is 9.1 lbs and yes, it balances great since the weight is mostly in the body.

VerryBerry likes this.
  4. I was thinking GHS PressureWounds. Had them on a Fender Am Std and really liked them for feel. I think they would go well with the LB's pickups as well.

5. Yep - that will work!

VerryBerry likes this.
  6. When I ordered the bass, HoneyBurst was only available by selecting the Premium finish option. I did ask for Alder at the time as well. A week later, my dealer called to ask whether I was dead-set on alder, because G&L called him saying that Alder was not available as a body wood with Premium finish. I said OK, go with Ash then. When it arrived, I got the Alder though. That was good - I like more grain pattern. :)

7. Thanks! Appreciate the confirmation!

8. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess."

Nov 15, 2012
    Augusta, GA
    Beautiful bass! You got really lucky with that honeyburst on alder. I recently ordered a Carvin bass with a translucent finish on alder and it looked awful. Sent it back. Congrats on yours!

VerryBerry likes this.
  9. Thank you, Sir! Interesting Alder experience you had with your Carvin. Would have liked to have seen it just for grins. Any pix?

10. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess."

Nov 15, 2012
    Augusta, GA
    The first picture is the bass I received. The second picture is the one Carvin took of it when it was listed as part of the "Guitars In Stock". The Carvin picture is how I imagined it when I ordered it. The bass sounded great, and had one of the best necks I had ever played on a five string. I sent it back because I wasn't happy with the way it looked. Am getting another one in the same Aquaburst finish on ash and gloss, and a birdseye maple board. It sold really quickly, I hope whoever bought it is enjoying it.

Attached Files:

11. The first is not horrible, but I like the tonal variation in the 2nd one better. First one is bland by comparison.
    Thanks!

12. You'll love it! Had to send mine back in for warranty repair, someone got a little frisky with a router in the neck pocket and I couldn't get a proper setup. I get it back this week and I couldn't be more excited.

VerryBerry likes this.
  13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Great holy beezles. You guys are killing me with the NBDs the past few days.

That may be the prettiest G&L I've ever seen. Sincerely. If it plays half as good as it looks, that's a lifer for sure. I mean, wow.

Personally I don't care much for burst headstocks at all and I prefer matching headstocks on rosewood boards, so I think it looks even classier like it is.

I've never been fortunate enough to own a G&L but every one I've ever played has been a top notch instrument.

Congratulations, man.

14. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thought the basses in both pics were gorgeous, but you are right. They aren't the same and I would have been disappointed as well.

On the instrument you received the burst is not as dramatic and the green is barely evident.

It also looks like a matte finish whereas the shot from the Carvin site looks gloss? Is that right?

That's a shame but I know Carvin will make it right and you'll soon be happy owner of that beauty.

Best of luck!

15. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    [QUOTE="davedblyoo, post: 17203734, member: 232271"...[/QUOTE]

PS...you win the Internet for Best Avatar.

16. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    WWWoWWW

VerryBerry likes this.
  17. Thanks, BraveSaint! I just went through a proper setup. The action is now crazy low - but I can dig in with a pick - and not get a whole bunch of buzz. In other words, I can have low action AND play with dynamics! What a concept!

This is going to spoil me all to heck.

bravesaint5 likes this.

18. Thanks, Mudd! I can now say that it plays as good as it looks. Best I've ever experienced in my relatively short bass-playing life.

And you are the 2nd person that advises matching headstocks on rosewood boards, so I'll take that as having made the right choice.

19. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    That is excellent. Your choice of bass proves you to be a wise player with great taste.

Well, it could have come out looking incredible too. Just personal taste.

20. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Gorgeous colour there, congrats!

VerryBerry likes this.