1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: G&L LB-100 Tribute (I might have a thing for ash/maple...)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Just got my new to me LB-100 tribute sold to me by a great member here at a great price. This is my first P style bass, and I'm really digging it. The fit and finish on this MiI bass is excellent. Great cuts of wood, nice snug neck joint, smooth pots, quality hardware. It is well balanced and relatively light on my shoulder. Being a Jazz Bass guy for 20+ years, I've been digging something different lately. Obviously, I couldn't seem to go too different, as is evident from my picture. ;) I do have a thing for ash/maple basses with black pickguards. Just has a timeless quality look to them. I see those sweet seafoam green basses in the store and think they look so cool, but I just know in a couple of years they won't be my style any more. But ash/maple with black pickguard? That never goes out of style. I really can't believe these things retail for only $500, but they seem impossible to find in person. I would take this bass over all the $400 squier classic vibes, and I suspect most of the $700+ MIM precisions! Everything about this bass just feels more solid. I expect it has found a home here with me for a long time.

Family picture time!

ash maple trio.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    North Jersey
    Congrat's on a nice pick up, looks right at home, great group you have there.

Tony G likes this.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks, yeah. I can't seem to put it down! Just a funk machine. Now, do I throw some flats on it?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    lermgalieu and pjbassist like this.

4. No.

Just add tort. :D

Beautiful collection!

Marko 1 and Tony G like this.
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Haha, thanks! But, no...no tort. Only black pickguards on my ash/maple beauties. ;)

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I will say how surprised I am, being a life long jazz bass player, at how the neck pickup solo'd on a jazz bass really isn't as good of a substitute for a true P bass tone as I thought it was. I'm learning new things here...

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have this exact one on my GAS list...

Tony G likes this.
  8. Yeah, @Tony G. You can't really make a J sound like a P. (Or vice versa.) Congrats on the new bass!

Tony G likes this.
  9. I've been jonesing for one of these since they were announced, I love the black guard/natural look. I used to have a '75 Jazz reissue with the same aesthetic and would love to have a similar styled bass again. All the reviews I see for these new Tributes are good.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Tony G likes this.
  10. The P sound is basically a humbucker in series, a single coil can never get to that sound

Tony G likes this.
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Interesting, and I definitely agree now that I've spent some time with one. I've had my nose buried in my jazz basses for so long I never really gave a p bass much attention. When this beauty popped up in the classifieds, it looked like the long lost cousin of my basses and I had to bring it home!

12. sok monkee

sok monkee Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Burlington N.C.
    Nice look family you got there:bassist:

Tony G likes this.
  13. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Beautiful bass and cohorts! That trio are a bunch of thump machines! Just awesome

I have one natural bass and now I need a black guard!

Tony G likes this.
  14. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I had a G&L JB2 for a while, and agree, their Tribute basses are really nice instruments. I wouldn't say they are any better or worse than MIM Standard/Player Series Fenders, or even the Chinese made Classic Vibes, they're just different. I think the MIM's, CV's and G&L Tributes are are very high quality instruments offered at a ridiculously great price point. It's just finding the one that suits your needs and style. Only reason I got rid of the G&L JB2 Tribute I had was because I just preferred Precision basses and a more "traditional" sound, but can attest to the wonderful fit and finish of the JB2, and man, they come with some powerful pickups!

wmmj and Tony G like this.
  15. You’re right, but G&L pickups have a reputation for not exactly sounding like vintage Fender pickups. Somebody more knowledgeable will pipe up, but I didn’t think G&L were following the standard alnico 5 pole piece etc Fender recipe. So I don’t know exactly how close these sound to a standard Fender.

Youngspanion and Tony G like this.
  16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That can be true, and I'm sure I wasn't being totally fair. As I said, I've got almost no experience with P basses. However, I really think the classic vibe p basses are cool and that is what got me to start looking at possibly adding a P bass to my arsenal. They sound great and play pretty well too, the ones that I've tried in shops. Maybe it is the super light weight wood they use, I'm not sure, but they always felt a little neck heavy to me. The hardware and pots never quite felt like they were as solid as I'd expect them to be. The MIM's are better in that department, but don't look as cool to me as the CV Squiers...and none of them come in natural ash maple combo like this tribute, which is definitely what caught my attention and ultimately made the decision about which bass for me! :D

Hmm....ok. As I said, I've got almost no experience with P basses. I am familiar with the general tone, but not the nuances. I'm very happy with the way this LB-100 tribute sounds, however!

17. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I don't think anyone was criticizing you. Just stating our opinions.

Tony G likes this.
  18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I didn't feel criticized. I was just trying to expand on my opinion in regards to your opinion! :)

19. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary Supporting Member

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    I believe they are following this standard design but slightly over-wound. I recently purchased my second LB-100 (the first was traded off while ago) and realized they use a 0.022 uf tone cap, as opposed to the Fender standard 0.047 uf. Makes quite a difference in sound.

Nasally LB-100

20. You would know better than I. G&L’s are not exactly plentiful around here. I know that their magnetic field design pups have a reputation for being really hot.

Tony G and ScottfromCalgary like this.