1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (Gamma)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukeorock, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Bought this Gamma in the TB classifieds last week. The price was worth the dice roll.
    IMG_4997. IMG_5039.JPG IMG_5040.JPG
    Love the body, pickguard and block markers, but don't love the headstock. Plugged it in and it seemed...ok. Tone knob and input jack were a bit wonky. EMG Hz pickup seemed ok. Just assumed I'd rip out the electronics anyway.

Now, the best P bass I've ever owned was a lawsuit Fernandes from the late 70's. I paid $200 for it in 1981 to be used as a backup to my G&L L1000. The L1000 was stolen around 1986 and the Fernandes became my #1 after trying/buying several much more expensive basses. Something about that bass was just so special to me. It went around the world with me many times and got at least 90% of my session work. Nothing special to look at, but me and that bass got along!
    IMG_5008.
    Sadly, my bands trailer and everything in it was stolen in 2006. The bass was insured for $2,000 and our friends at Fender gave me a crazy low price on a CS '55 RI. Looked amazing, but didn't speak to me so I traded it for an AM STD. Pretty nice bass, but still wasn't like my old Japanese lawsuit P bass. Sold that years later for a '76 black on black beauty! Great bass, but still not like my cheapo Fernandes. This brings us back to the Gamma. I took it to a practice tonight...
    IMG_5041.JPG
    It sounded and felt so much like my old Fernandes I got kinda emotional! I have no way of explaining this, but the sound and feel took me right back to my favorite old junky treasure of a bass!

Funny that after owning Laklands, Dingwalls and several high end CS basses, another relatively low priced bass is the perfect fit!

*EDIT!!!
    I should point out...I get the same thrill out of this Gamma that I got from my old, cheap Fernandes, but that isn't to say the Gamma is a cheap, junky bass. Quite the opposite, it's fantastic. In fact, I'm liking it better than my vintage Fender :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. tat2clod

tat2clod

Nov 19, 2011
    Bloomington IN
    Cool back story glad it did the trick for you.

dukeorock likes this.
  3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Happiness at the holidays - can't ask for much more. :thumbsup:

dukeorock likes this.
  4. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    welcome to the GAMMA family! I am thrilled that you are satisfied. Believe you are the 4th owner.... especially like hearing....."I get the same thrill out of this Gamma that I got from my old, cheap Fernandes, but that isn't to say the Gamma is a cheap, junky bass. Quite the opposite, it's fantastic. In fact, I'm liking it better than my vintage Fender :)"

dukeorock likes this.