1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: GC Score! G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, May 7, 2010.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Found this "used" at GC, though I can't tell that it has ever been played. The headstock says "Made in U.S.A.". It had no case. They originally had it marked at what seems like actually not a bad price for a used, MIA L-2500. But it sat around for a while and they marked it down $200. Then I guess it sat around some more, so they finally marked it down another $200. In swoops Stuart. Score!!! An MIA L-2500 for a Tribute price. I think I even saw a Tribute 2500 at a different GC for more than what I paid. I know they have one at my local GC for $50 less than I got this one for.

It was shipped to me and arrived at my office today. I can't wait to get it home and plug it in!! :hyper: I may even have to curtail tonight's beer-drinking activities! :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Nice find. That's one thing about the big box retailers -- they get impatient when the inventory sits around.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well played, Sir!

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Nice! But how is rocking the G&L inconsistent with beer drinking activities? :confused:

5. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    It's funny. I played trombone in the jazz band in high school and college. Back in the early and mid-80s. Back then, it seemed like all the bass players I ever played in the band with all played Fenders. Then I started playing drums and have been gigging on drums for a few years. And, still, so many (dang near all) of the bass players I've played with have played Fender. So, Fender has always been in mind as THE bass to have.

But this year when I decided to start learning to play bass and got back on here and started researching, I realized Fender just doesn't really flip my switch. They kind of seem like the Harley-Davidson of basses. Or maybe the GM. But I still wanted to buy something Made in America. Thus, I ended up with my first serious bass - a Cirrus 5.

But still, there's been a little bit of nostalgia for Fender floating around the back of my mind. (If I had the money, that '66 J in the Classifieds would be mine! We are, after all, the same vintage. ;) )

Then I spotted this G&L and it was like it all came together in my head and a light came on. THIS is the Fender that I can really appreciate for all its qualities. Construction, technical features, and, of course, the way it looks. I haven't actually plugged it in yet. But playing it unplugged it feels really good and I can feel in the back of my mind that my Fender hunger is now satisfied.

6. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    My plan WAS to be OUT drinking beer. I don't generally drink when I'm home alone. If I had some guys coming over to jam with, that would be different. But, alas, nobody to jam with tonight.

So, it'll have to be beers after work, then home to jam alone... :bawl: :D

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome home!

8. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    LOL! Thanks! :D

9. Basshappi